1Password 7 standalone no longer recognizing license. What to do?

flmiller
flmiller
Community Member

As title says, my 1Password 7.6 seems no longer registered. Backups, license file are in their proper place in Group Containers folder. iCloud syncing is still working. Mini will not show autofill, and there is no license line in 1Password pulldown-below 'About 1Password'.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:lost license v7

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @flmiller!

there is no license line in 1Password pulldown-below 'About 1Password'.

Did you by chance download and install 1Password from the Mac App Store? Only the app downloaded from our website works with licenses :+1:

• flmiller
    flmiller
    Community Member

Downloaded from App Store (just checked). I guess I changed from your download to App Store last year. Can I convert to subscription for my devices and not lose data?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@flmiller:

Downloaded from App Store (just checked).

That would explain it then :)

Can I convert to subscription for my devices and not lose data?

Absolutely! We also have an article that walks you through the process:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

• flmiller
    flmiller
    Community Member

Thank you. Still haven't figured out why autofill doesn't seem to exist in the safari extension, but we will forge ahead and subscribe. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@flmiller:

Still haven't figured out why autofill doesn't seem to exist in the safari extension

Autofill is available in Safari too, so that should certainly work for you. What happens exactly when you are on a website with a login form and click on the extension button in Safari?

• flmiller
    flmiller
    Community Member

When I use the 1Password toolbar button in Safari, the appropriate ID/password info appears but there is no autofill button any more. I completely quit 1Password and redownloaded the app from the App Store, and there is no change - No Autofill button.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@flmiller:

When I use the 1Password toolbar button in Safari, the appropriate ID/password info appears but there is no autofill button any more.

This is connected to what you reported before: the Mac App Store version does not accept standalone licenses. One of the consequences is that filling is disabled since the app is in read only mode.

If you download the 1Password app from our website as I suggested, and apply your license to it (or an active subscription), the Autofill button will show next to every item in the 1Password Safari extension:

• flmiller
    flmiller
    Community Member

Great. How do I apply my license? I believe it is in the proper folder in my home folder. And, how was the App Store version working properly until today? I seem to have purchased/installed it in 2019, but the autofill just today disappeared? Is a puzzlement! Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@flmiller:

How do I apply my license?

The license should be applied automatically through your Apple ID, as soon as you install 1Password 7 from our website, so you shouldn't need to do anything specific. Please let us know if this does not happen automatically for you, and we can take a closer look :+1:

And, how was the App Store version working properly until today?

My suspicion is that you were maybe running both apps for a while, from our website and from the Mac App Store. You were possibly launching the app from our website until you tried the Mac App Store version, where you noticed this behavior.

• flmiller
    flmiller
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll try the download version now and see what happens - and report back.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! Sounds good :+1: :)

• flmiller
    flmiller
    Community Member

Thank you. All is working now, and there is only one 1Password app on the computer. Actually, I cannot fathom there ever being 2. I had a USB hub on the computer go bad yesterday, which destroyed a back-up disk, and required a system reinstall. Maybe that caused who-knows-what. Anyway, thank you for your help, and we will be moving on to a subscription. Ciao!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you. All is working now, and there is only one 1Password app on the computer.

Thank you for the update @flmiller, that's great to hear! :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.