1PW "update password" Prompt erroneously appears when entering a PW via Chrome Browser (OS X)

Options
2stepbay
2stepbay
Community Member

Using Chrome 85.0.4183.83 (Official Build)
After a restart, the first log-in request on a Chrome browser page triggers a 1PW panel asking me to enter my OS password and open 1PW. Upon doing so, another prompt appears asking to either add the log-in/pw or update the password for that site even though the existing password and browser page in 1PW database is the same (I've checked) as that retained by Chrome's password database. Seems 1PW ought to recognize the password entered via Chrome matches the 1PW version. Subsequent log-ins (until the next restart do not trigger the prompt unless the password is actually different than the 1PW version.Appreciate any insight or steps to remedy.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.75.90
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @2stepbay!

We normally recommend turning off the default password manager in your browser, since it can interfere with 1Password doing its job. I think this is what is happening here, especially since you mentioned this:

After a restart, the first log-in request on a Chrome browser page triggers a 1PW panel asking me to enter my OS password and open 1PW.

1Password does not ask you for your OS password to unlock, you can only unlock it with your Master Password.

Upon doing so, another prompt appears asking to either add the log-in/pw or update the password for that site even though the existing password and browser page in 1PW database is the same (I've checked) as that retained by Chrome's password database.

Does the URL match what is stored inside your 1Password item? If it doesn't match, this is one of the reasons that makes 1Password show you the popup asking if you want to save or update an existing item in your vault.

• 2stepbay
    2stepbay
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! Don't see how 1PW and a browser PW mechanism can get out of sync or 1 is problematic for the other. I'm going to pay particular attention next time this oddity occurs relative to web page address on both systems. I'll post back with screenshots etc.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That sounds great @2stepbay, thank you :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.