1Password Extension can no longer find 1Password application in Vivaldi

romad
romad
Community Member

Updated to Vivaldi 3.3.2022.39 but when I click on the 1Password Extension icon in either Vivaldi or the Mac menu Bar, I'm told it can't find 1Password 7.6:

Looking for the 1Password app
The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly.

Couldn’t connect to 1Password
Make sure you have the 1Password app installed. If you're still experiencing problems follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us.

It worked just fine in Vivaldi 2, and still works in Brave and Safari.

What happened? Have you stopped supporting Vivaldi?

Dennis

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad!

Vivaldi still works for me here. Do you see the same thing if you fully quit Vivaldi, and launch it again? If there recently was an update in Vivaldi, the connection between the browser and the 1Password for Mac app could quit like this for security reasons.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

Yep, same thing happens, ... wait a minute I just had a thought. Let me try something else and get back to you.

OK, I'm back. Since quitting Vivaldi & relaunching didn't work, I tried shutting down the iMac completely and then powering up again; unfortunately that didn't work either.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good :+1: :)

• AudunSvante
    AudunSvante
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I have tried all ways making the 1Password extension to find the 1Password7 app:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/53284/1password7-extension-communication-with-os

Maybe 1Password team can have a look at it?

• @AudunSvante

Which version of the extension are you using?

• AudunSvante
    AudunSvante
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I have tried all ways making the 1Password extension to find the 1Password7 app:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/53284/1password7-extension-communication-with-os

Maybe 1Password team can have a look at it?

• AudunSvante
    AudunSvante
    Community Member

I used the 1Password extension, the one that is supposed to find the OS App. The other one, 1PasswordX, works fine but for the fact that you have to log into 1Password every time you open the Vivaldi browser. The 1Password extension works fine in Safari and Google Chrome but not in Vivaldi and why not is my inquiry, as this little nag keeps me away from using Vivaldi which is an excellent browser otherwise.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AudunSvante:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

I've tried the following:
    Updated Vivaldi
    Deleted 1Pwd extension and reinstalled it
    Made certain the 1Pwd icon was in the Vivaldi browser
    Made certain the 1Password desktop application was in the APPLICATIONS folder
    and I still get the message:

Looking for the 1Password app
    The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly.

Couldn’t connect to 1Password
    Make sure you have the 1Password app installed. If you're still experiencing problems follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us.

BTW, when I go to the "simple steps" link, it references 1Password 6!

• @romad

Please try the following:

• Uninstall 1Password from Vivaldi
    • Quit all open web browsers.
    • Open the main 1Password app. Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.
    • Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    • Restart your Mac.
    • Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website. https://1password.com/downloads
    • Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    • Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
    • Install 1Password extension in Vivaldi

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@Ben

The main problem is if I do that because of Vivaldi, I'll have to reinstall the extension on all my other web browsers. I just went back to see if an updated Vivaldi would work.

I'll make a copy of those instructions and try them when I have time.

Dennis

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

The main problem is if I do that because of Vivaldi, I'll have to reinstall the extension on all my other web browsers.

Uninstalling the 1Password for Mac app does not uninstall the extension in your other browsers, they will remain installed there ;)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Not my experience. I've done this dance before and while it ISN'T supposed to affect the other browsers, it has so I'm not going to take a chance right now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

Understood, I certainly understand :+1: :)

• AudunSvante
    AudunSvante
    Community Member

OK I'll try what @romad suggested. In the meantime I have done what ag_ana suggested and created a report sent by email for y'all to peruse. Don't know how much privacy I have given away with that, but hope it will be considered discretely. So for all it is worth, here goes: Ticket: [#VTU-23452-618]. There it is..... :)

• AudunSvante
    AudunSvante
    Community Member

And I tried what was suggested by @romad (ben?) which did not do the trick, problem remain unsolved.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AudunSvante:

Don't know how much privacy I have given away with that, but hope it will be considered discretely.

You can certainly open the report and see what information it includes ;) We also have a documentation page about this:

About 1Password diagnostics information

In the meantime I have done what ag_ana suggested and created a report sent by email for y'all to peruse.

Thank you, found it! We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

ref: VTU-23452-618

• AudunSvante
    AudunSvante
    Community Member

OK. Problem solved! :) . I got a mail from support that gave instructions how to cut/paste a command in Terminal and "quit 1Password completely", then re-start 1Password and open Vivaldi and now the Nag is gone and me happy :)
    I'll cut/paste the solution here in case someone with the same problem would be interested:

"

1. Open Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.

2. Copy and paste the following command and press Return:

mkdir -p ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome

3. Open 1Password. Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar.

4. Open 1Password again.

5. Restart your browser.

"

And that did it for me. Thank you all for kind help and Merry Christmas to everyone!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020

You are welcome @AudunSvante! And thank you for the update, I am glad to hear that Vivaldi is working for you again :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day and a Merry Christmas to you too :)

This discussion has been closed.