Autofill problems when changing a password

Options
Martijnn
Martijnn
Community Member
edited September 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I've had quite a few times now that 1Password doesn't correctly enter my generated passwords when changing a password on a site.
When I click on autofill after generation, the password is filled in the "current password" field.

I have had this problem on several websites such as https://www.t-mobile.nl/

1Password Version: 7.6 (70600006)
Extension Version: Google Chrome extension (4.7.5.90)
OS Version: MacOS Catalina version 10.15.6
Sync Type: 1Password-account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hi @Martijnn!

This is an issue our developers are aware of. I will add your experience to the discussion, and hopefully we will find a way to get this to work again soon :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#4880

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WC_Harrison:

Correct, they are aware of the issue :+1: The reason behind this is that lately we have been working on an improved "brain", which is the mechanism that helps 1Password fill information on websites. One of the side effects of this is that there are some issues in forms with two password fields (which is typical of password change forms, which also explains why you are not seeing this issue on regular login forms).

• Ishmael
    Ishmael
    Community Member
    Options

Finally! I'm having the exact same problem with every site I try to change passwords on. I'm a brand new 1Password user and since this is a key feature I find it incredibly frustrating, and odd that it's not resolved yet. Is there a workaround??

• @Ishmael

Which version of 1Password are you using?

• Ishmael
    Ishmael
    Community Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

7.6...looks like you too. And I'm also on MacOS Catalina, but 10.15.7

editing: thought I was responding to original poster, sorry ag_tommy

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hello @Ishmael,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. We are aware of this issue and will solve it as soon as possible. Currently, you can try these steps to update passwords.

1. Open the site you want to change passwords and sign in.

2. Go to the "change password" page of the website.

3. Select the password generator > Create a password > Select "Save & Copy"

4. Click your mouse in the new password field and press "Cmd+V". Do the same for the confirm password input field.

5. If you have the old password of the site in 1Password, you could press "Cmd+\" to fill the old password. If not, you can manually type in your old password in its fields.

6. After that, you can click on the 1Password extension icon on your browser's toolbar > Select the gear icon > New login > Make sure that you select "Update existing" tab > Select your website > Update Existing.

Alternatively, if you are not using Safari, you can try 1Password X. It should save and fill the new passwords and the confirm passwords field correctly. 1Password X is a standalone extension that works without the need for the 1Password app. It is our latest product, and you can find more information about 1Password X from here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/. If you are interested, you can download 1Password X for your browser by going here https://1password.com/downloads > Scroll down to "Download 1Password X" and select a browser.

If you want to use Safari, you can try 1Password Beta. We use the Beta version for testing upcoming fixes and features, so you should have a better experience using 1Password Beta.

To get the 1Password Beta, please open the 1Password app > Click on 1Password 7 in the menu bar > Preferences > Tick on the "Include beta builds" box > Click on "Check now" button > Update to Beta.

• Ishmael
    Ishmael
    Community Member
    Options

Ah...I wasn’t sure how to copy/paste the new password and have it saved in 1Password - your step 6 helps. Thanks for all the info!

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020
    Options

@Ishmael

Thank you, and no problem, that's easily done when replying here. The development team has made some improvements to the filling brain. You can already see some of those changes in our beta version. Hopefully, it will not be much longer before it is released to the stable channel. I cannot say for certain that this will address your specific issue. However, it's a good possibility.

• Ishmael
    Ishmael
    Community Member
    Options

@nhat_1P
    I tried your steps to change a password but upon generating a new password in 1Password the only option presented is "save and fill"...there is no "copy" option. And you can't just use key strokes to copy it as the 1Password extension then closes, presumable without saving. I managed to make it work in a roundabout way but it's not at all intuitive. Also, 1Password labels the new password it generated as "terrible". I'm just getting more frustrated with this but hopefully it'll get better.

• Ishmael
    Ishmael
    Community Member
    Options

@nhat_1P
    Ok...got 1Password X...works great! Thank you

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Ishmael ,
    1Password X is great, and we're happy that you like it :)

The issues you originally brought up here were fixed in the latest beta of 1Password 7 for Mac, and these fixes will reach the next stable update. Regardless, if you're using 1Password X now, you don't have to worry about it anymore!

This discussion has been closed.