I want to switch from using 1PW on my Mac (getting rid of it) and use 1PW on my iPhone and iPad,

rjchombre
rjchombre
Community Member

I currently have 1PW on my Mac Pro (long time user). I am getting rid of my Mac and I want to move the 1PW from my Mac (with years worth of passwords) to my iPhone and iPad. What is the best way for me to do that?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Move 1PW from Mac to iPhone and iPad

Comments

• mutro
    mutro
    Community Member

I'm also a long-time user and I've been using 1Password on my Mac and syncing it with my iPhone X and iPad, using the Mac as a WAN server. Hope this will work for your migration as well. The details are at https://support.1password.com/wlan-server/

• Hi folks,

We no longer suggest the WLAN Server as a solution, and only limited support is available for it. As is noted at the top of the guide mutro linked, there is a better way: 1Password membership. Details can be found here:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• mutro
    mutro
    Community Member

Ben, Why is 1PW "no longer suggest the WLAN Server as a solution"? I've been using the WLAN method for many years with no issues, simple setup, and quick sync with all my Apple devices without having to "upgrade" to a fee-based membership account. I've looked at the membership advantages and they do not provide any functionality I need (other than continued updates and support which is at the discretion of 1PW).

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2020

The WLAN Server is the most technically complex solution we've offered for syncing data. If it works for you — that's great. However in cases where it doesn't work, it is impractical for us to troubleshoot it due to the complexities involved based on people's home and work network configurations. We're really not in a position to help with network configurations. Before better options existed it was a reasonable solution to offer, despite that fact. There are better and more reliable options now. :) Membership is the way forward for 1Password.

In any event. I don't want to get too far off topic from the OP's question. They asked about the best way to sync their data. The answer is 1Password membership. :+1:

Ben

• rjchombre
    rjchombre
    Community Member

Hi Ben, thank you for the link. I will walk thru it carefully but I just want to confirm, if I go the route of membership, I want to make sure I retain all of the passwords currently in my Mac version of 1PW after I get rid of it (it's a company laptop). Will I be able to push all of my current pw's into the cloud and then download them on my other Apple devices? Just want to make sure I'm pursuing the right solution for my situation. Thank you.

• @rjchombre

Hi Ben, thank you for the link. I will walk thru it carefully but I just want to confirm, if I go the route of membership, I want to make sure I retain all of the passwords currently in my Mac version of 1PW after I get rid of it (it's a company laptop). Will I be able to push all of my current pw's into the cloud and then download them on my other Apple devices? Just want to make sure I'm pursuing the right solution for my situation. Thank you.

Yes that is correct: your existing data will be retained as you move through the migration process:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

You'll then be able to access that data on any device you add your 1Password account to. In addition by moving to membership you'll get access to the latest versions of 1Password. You're currently a major version (2+ years) behind. :)

Ben

• rjchombre
    rjchombre
    Community Member

Hi Ben, I've read thru the instructions and I'm close to moving to getting a personal account for my devices. I still have a couple of questions after going thru the instructions that I'm hoping you can answer before I purchase a new account: 1. After I've migrated my Mac that has 1PW, do I just use a browser to open up the 1password.com account on my iPhone/iPad and that will allow me to download an app onto my devices? It's not clear to me how to get the app on my iOS devices without going thru the App Store. 2. One part of the instructions tells me to delete my primary vault from my Mac right after migrating it to the new account, and in another part is says I should add my other devices first and then delete the primary vault from my Mac. Which one is correct? Once again, thank you for your help.

• @rjchombre

You're very welcome. I think I can help address those points.

It's not clear to me how to get the app on my iOS devices without going thru the App Store

iOS apps can only be downloaded through Apple's App Store. You can find 1Password for iOS here:

1Password for iOS on the App Store

One part of the instructions tells me to delete my primary vault from my Mac right after migrating it to the new account

Correct; these are the instructions for your 'main' device (i.e. the one you are using for the migration).

and in another part is says I should add my other devices first and then delete the primary vault from my Mac

These instructions are for any additional devices (i.e. any that you use but are not doing the migration on). The Primary vault has to be deleted from each device that has one.

I hope that helps clarify. :)

Ben

• rjchombre
    rjchombre
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. Should I get the new account first and then download the apps on my other devices or should I download the apps first and then get the new account? In any case, I'm positive this is the right solution for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rjchombre:

Both ways can work, but since you will need an account to add it to the apps and migrate, perhaps it will be a little bit easier if you created the account first, made sure that you can login without issues, and then proceed with configuring the apps :+1:

• rjchombre
    rjchombre
    Community Member

Thank you, ag_ana, I've purchased the account and have added it to my Mac and iPad and I now have access to my passwords. However what do I need to do to actually invoke 1pw mini on the iPad (and eventually iPhone)? I'm assuming I need to download an extension for whichever browser I'm using (mainly firefox on everything).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rjchombre:

On iOS, the best method is to use autofill, so you don't even need an extension ;) Here is the documentation page that shows you how to activate and use the feature:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

This discussion has been closed.