Do I need to enable “local network” access?

JBallin
JBallin
Community Member

iOS 14 now explicitly asks for this. Am I correct to assume that cloud accounts don’t need to enable?

Comments

• Hi @JBallin

Am I correct to assume that cloud accounts don’t need to enable?

That is correct. :) Thanks for asking.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4817

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member

Great!

• I'd be happy to do that here, however I don't think we have any control over the messaging shown. My understanding is that the messaging comes from iOS, not from us. I'll be happy to confirm that with development.

The reason 1Password has this is 1Password 7 for iOS has the ability to sync standalone vaults through 1Password for Mac's WLAN Server. Development is looking at the possibility of not running the code that causes this permission request from iOS to pop up unless / until you've got WLAN sync enabled. We're hoping that'll be something we're able to do.

Ben

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member

See “permission string” in Apple docs.

• Thanks @JBallin. I was unaware of that. If we're unable to limit the prompt to only those users who are actively using the WLAN Server, then I will suggest that we update that text. :+1:

Ben

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

So, If I understand the above correctly, I should have selected No.
    Since I trust 1Password messages and requests more than any other app, I agreed. To change back to No, I went on iPhone/iPad to Settings/1Password/Local Network and deselected the slider to Off.
    Is that correct?

iOS 14.0 1Password 7.6.2

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member

@Fairgame if you use the cloud version of 1pwd (if you don’t know - you probably do), then yes that’s the correct way to turn it off.

Agree about trusting 1pwd but in general I prefer to only provide permission where absolutely necessary.

• Yep. To be clear: it doesn't hurt anything to have it on. The only thing the 1Password app uses it for is the WLAN Server. But if you're not using the WLAN Server, it is fine to have it off. :)

Ben

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

Well, several apps now asked the same permission after the iOS 14 update. So it is OFF for all of them.
    My initial thought (since 1PW was the first app to ask this permission) was that 1PW is now checking if any IoTs are doing something bad with our home network - like no password on a refrigerator or something similar. 😎

• In my experience most of them that ask have some sort of media streaming option (like Chromecast) built-in, and that is why they're asking. But it is definitely a good idea to determine what an app wants to use it for and allow/deny based on that and your usage of the app.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.