To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't set up security key as 2FA until I have set up Authenticator OTP?

Options
PTWithy
PTWithy
Community Member
edited September 2020 in Memberships

I bought some nifty new Yubico 5C NFC security keys and wanted to add them to my 1Password.com account. Ran into two issues:

1. The instructions imply I can do that by logging into my account, but the option to add a security key did not appear until I enabled 2-factor and set up Google Authenticator. After than, I was able to add my two security keys. (On my iPhone, 1Password immediately noticed this and asked me how I wanted to authenticate. I picked security key, tapped, and went on my merry way.)
  2. But on my iPad, and on my OS X Laptop, the 1Password App only offers the option of using OTP. That worked, but, seems like a bug.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6 (19G2021)
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:ipad app does not seem to work with my yubico key

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

The desktop platforms (fuzzy on iOS support) don't currently support webauthn keys, only OTP, so you need OTP to have be able to login to those clients.

• Hi there,

plttn is correct. 1Password for iOS does support a couple of Yubikeys (5Ci and 5 NFC), and 1Password for Android does as well, but beyond that the apps will need the OTP code for the device authorization process.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.