Automatically Filling Login Without Being Asked

Options

Why doesn't 1Password have an option to automatically fill and submit a login form? Why does it force me to have to press Ctrl+\, click on the add-in icon and select the login? If there is only one login for the site, why not allow the user the option of having it login automatically?

Ii thought I might be missing something somewhere, but here is what is says on the 1Password website:
Sign in to websites with 1Password
After you’ve saved your usernames and passwords for websites, 1Password can fill them for you.
If you’re on the sign-in page of a website, click the 1Password button in your browser’s toolbar and select the item you want to fill.
You can also fill your username and password with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + backslash ().

Everything it mentions is a manual fill request, not automatic. Am I still missing something?

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• gaw
    gaw
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe try 1password X extension using Chrome

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @webmonk

As a company that revolves around security, one of the main practices we adopted to keep users safe is to never do anything without the user's specific request. Autofilling on websites without the user's request is a big security no-no. What if there's someone right next to you looking at your screen? What if you give someone access to your computer for a couple of minutes to check something and he finds he can autofill any and all of your credentials on every website?

There are a lot of reasons why not to do this, and they are all great. We're very much against letting anything autofill without your request.
    However, as @gaw here suggested, you might enjoy 1Password X better, since it shows up inside usernames and password fields while it is unlocked, making autofilling a lot easier since it suggests autofilling right inside the fields: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

I hope you'll find this information useful. :chuffed:

• webmonk
    webmonk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @gaw and @ag_yaron. I can appreciate your attention to security. Sometimes we get so used to the convenience of something that we don't stop to think "should I do it this way?" I can adjust. :o) Pressing two keys to get it to fill the fields is not difficult.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the understanding @webmonk :+1: And on behalf of ag_yaron and gaw, you are very welcome.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• gaw
    gaw
    Community Member
    Options

@webmonk I've been evaluating 1Password for a family solution to manage our passwords and that of my aging parents. I have been frustrated until I implemented 1Password X as my Chrome extension and followed a few steps when autofilling logins/passwords, addresses, and credit cards. I think you are using the regular 1Password extension which did not meet my needs. So I recommend this in hopes it will save you hours of frustration. :

1. Install the 1Password X extension for your browser (works with most browsers). Make sure it is pinned to the top of your browser page. (I also use the desktop app for easy tagging and the web app for managing family access. They all seem to be needed at least for what I want to do.)
    2. Change some of the settings in** 1Password X**: Use All Vaults; extend lock time, Open 1Password to Favorites, Make1Password default ON, both Autofill options ON
    3. Create an identity for yourself and save it as a favorite. Take care creating this as it is these fields that are used to autofill, especially default Phone, Username, email.
    4. Create a credit card and save it as a favorite.

Setup should now be complete

LOGGING IN: If the login field does not have the 1password icon in it when you enter a site, just place your cursor in it and the login options will pop up.

AUTOFILL ADDRESS/CREDIT CARD: When you are on a webpage where you want to autofill address or credit card info, without doing anything else immediately go to the 1password X extension icon in the upper right corner and click on it. It should show your favorites on left side of pop up window (should be your identity card and a credit card created above.) Hover over either the identity or credit card. The autofill option will appear. Click on it. Most, if not all the fields, will be autofilled on the webpage you are on. If it doesn't fill in correctly, then let 1Password team know and they will add it to their list to verify and make code changes in the future if warranty to accommodate.

Hope this helps save you some time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with the community @gaw! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.