iOS reinstall and master password

Options
sammy_j
sammy_j
Community Member

Using 1Password Version 7. Standalone license (not membership). Using WLAN Server to sync between Mac and iOS.
A few questions:

1. If I change the Master Password on the Mac, I assume I have to do the same on iOS App as well?
  2. And, to do so, I first have to use the Old Master password to open the iOS App and then change it to the new one, that I entered on the Mac version? Correct?
  3. (This is a very dumb question, but here I go anyway): If I delete the iOS App, I assume that does not have any impact on the Mac and that all the logins and the primary vault will still be intact, correct?
  4. If I create a secondary, standalone vault on the Mac, I assume I have to give it a password, even though I won't be entering that password for that secondary vault after that initial creation, correct? So to avoid forgetting that password for that secondary vault, it may be better to use the same master password for that secondary vault too?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

Would appreciate any inputs anyone may have.

• Hi @sammy_j

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'd be happy to help with that. To start, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that we're no longer encouraging the use of the WLAN Server. It was built at a time before reliable and secure cloud syncing was feasible. Now we offer our 1Password.com membership service, which addresses both of those concerns, and provides a number of benefits that standalone vaults and the WLAN Server don't / can't. You can read more about membership here:

About 1Password membership

On to your questions. :)

If I change the Master Password on the Mac, I assume I have to do the same on iOS App as well?

Yes, that would be the quickest / most reliable way to ensure things continue to work as expected.

And, to do so, I first have to use the Old Master password to open the iOS App and then change it to the new one, that I entered on the Mac version? Correct?

Correct.

(This is a very dumb question, but here I go anyway): If I delete the iOS App, I assume that does not have any impact on the Mac and that all the logins and the primary vault will still be intact, correct?

Not a dumb question. :) You are right that deleting the iOS app does not have any effect on the Mac or the data that is on it. It does delete the 1Password data from the iOS device, though.

If I create a secondary, standalone vault on the Mac, I assume I have to give it a password, even though I won't be entering that password for that secondary vault after that initial creation, correct? So to avoid forgetting that password for that secondary vault, it may be better to use the same master password for that secondary vault too?

That is certainly one option. Another would be to use a different password but store that password in the Primary vault.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben

Thanks a lot for your responses.

>>>>that we're no longer encouraging the use of the WLAN Server

You are not encouraging, because it's not reliable and/or buggy or because it's complex/complicated (over cloud based syncing)?
    Understand the benefits of membership, may do so in the future. Will definitely consider it.

>>>>Another would be to use a different password but store that password in the Primary vault.

I didn't know that this was possible. I assume when I create new standalone vault and when 1P asks that I create a password, it will ask me if I want to save it? I guess I can give it a try myself, rather than asking you...!!

Thanks again for your support!

• @sammy_j

You are not encouraging, because it's not reliable and/or buggy or because it's complex/complicated (over cloud based syncing)?

Yes. :) Heh. A few factors:

1. The reliability of it is highly dependent on your network, which can have many variables that are outside of our control / troubleshooting ability.
    2. It hasn't received any development attention in quite some time.
    3. It is by far the most technically difficult to setup and manage option that we offer.

Understand the benefits of membership, may do so in the future. Will definitely consider it.

Fair enough. Thanks!

I didn't know that this was possible. I assume when I create new standalone vault and when 1P asks that I create a password, it will ask me if I want to save it? I guess I can give it a try myself, rather than asking you...!!

It isn't an automatic thing, but you could certainly create a Secure Note or other appropriate item type in your Primary vault containing the password for the additional vault. :)

Thanks again for your support!

You're very welcome.

Ben

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben

>>>> Secure Note or other appropriate item type in your Primary vault containing the password for the additional vault. :)

Oh, that's right! I keep forgetting that 1Password is more than just for password!

One last question: For the said secondary standalone vault, in the future, if I want to change the password, I assume I can do so? (If so, how?)

That's my last question, I promise.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

This discussion has been closed.