Terrbile Password

Options
kappabear
kappabear
Community Member

Hi there,

I just generated this password in 1Password, and I'm very curious as to why 1Password feels that it's "terrible"? What would prompt such a categorization?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• scottisloud
    scottisloud
    Community Member
    Options

This seems to be something that has cropped up elsewhere, see for example the following discussion:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/571492#Comment_571492

Specifically, @Ben's post stating:

1) If you have a password saved on more than one item, 1Password is supposed to recognize that as a "reused" password, and as such rate it as terrible regardless of any of its other characteristics. In this case, both of those should be rated terrible. It appears we may have a bug where only one is.

2) In the current version of 1Password the entropy (randomness) value of a password isn't preserved when copying it from one item to another. As such, even if you fix your items such that the password is only on one item (i.e. you stop running up against issue #1) the password is still likely going to be rated terrible as 1Password doesn't know how random it is.

Looks like in your case it's unlikely the issue is that this is a duplicate, since you just generated it, but it could be suffering from the second, entropy-related issue.

• Hi @kappabear

As scottisloud pointed out there are a few different things that can cause a password to be rated as such, and unfortunately off-hand I don't have a surefire way to say which is the cause in this particular case. Some things to look for, though, as scottisloud also mentioned:

1. Is this same password saved on multiple items in 1Password? e.g. do you have both a Password and Login item that have it on them?
    2. How exactly did the password become saved on this specific item? Did you copy & paste it from elsewhere, or did the password generator run and save it there directly?

Those would be the two most common situations which would lead to a 'terrible' rating on a password that otherwise appears to have strong characteristics.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• kappabear
    kappabear
    Community Member
    Options

This password was generated in 1Password, and immediately showed as "Terrible." It had been used previously, and hadn't even been enter into the website that I was planning on using it for. I was creating a new login for a site from within 1P. I've been using 1P for over a decant, and have never seen that before.

Cheers.

• That's a really good question, then. If you find a way to make it happen again (or better, consistently), please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.