Update Existing feature not working on my Mac

Bisley20
Bisley20
Community Member

When I try to do an Update Existing from the pop-up window, it does not update my password. I have 1Password open, I go into the specific login to see if the new password has been updated, and it's the old password. But the "last modified" time stamp shows the updated time.

Is there a setting I need to flag in the Preferences?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 70600005
OS Version: MacOS Catalina 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bisley20! Welcome to the forum!

When you open this Login item in 1Password, did the new password perhaps end up in a separate custom field? Or in the "View Saved Form Details" section perhaps?

• Bisley20
    Bisley20
    Community Member

Hi, thanks!

Unfortunately, no...the new password does not appear in a separate custom field nor the View Saved Form Details section.

I tried it again, resetting a password on a site, get prompted with the Update Existing window, then I look at the Login details, and the old password is still there, though Last Update shows the current time/date stamp.

So, one thing I am noticing is that I have been creating new logins as I try to move everything over to 1Password. So, when I look in the Login details, the password gets saved in the "SAVED ON XXXXX" section, under the "pwd" field. And the top section with the "username", the "password" field remains blank.

This is the sequence that I'm doing this:

• Open new website
    • Autofill using my Safari saved passwords
    • Click on 1Password button at the top of browser
    • Click on the gear icon and select New Login
    • Accept default Vault and Title, click on Save Login
    • Then I log into the website
    • Proceed to change password, which triggers the Update Existing window

Should I be doing something differently?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Bisley20:

Autofill using my Safari saved passwords

I think this might be the problem. To avoid interference, we always recommend turning off the browser's password management feature, so that 1Password can work properly without having multiple things trying to do handle password changes. I wonder if this is why 1Password is not updating properly.

If you turn off the Safari password manager, do your Login items update successfully?

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

• Bisley20
    Bisley20
    Community Member

Oh ok...I was hoping that I could change passwords using both password managers. I turned off Safari’s password manager and it’s working now. thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

No problem, @Bisley20! I'm glad to hear it's working for you now.

If anything else comes up, we'll be here for you.

This discussion has been closed.