2fa advice

Options
telUK
telUK
Community Member

Hi

Had 1password for years now and just want some advice on where I should setup 2fa for a few accounts, in general I use 1password app for any 2fa security where available.

But for my 1password account I use a separate authenticator app to store 2fa codeS.

I also store another account of mine 2fa codes within the authenticator app.

Am I being a little stupid doing this, should I just use 1password to store everything to make it more simple and so away with the authenticator app altogether?

Also on a side note, not logged into the forums in a while, I have "agilebits forum" website stored in 1p, I gather this has changed as the login did not autofill.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @telUK

But for my 1password account I use a separate authenticator app to store 2fa codeS.

This is the correct approach. We do not recommend storing your TOTP secret for your 1Password account exclusively inside 1Password. Doing so could easily lead to a scenario where you would be locked out of your account entirely. For everything else: yes, absolutely, you can store them in 1Password.

Am I being a little stupid doing this

Not at all. In fact our guide on setting up TOTP for your 1Password account calls out the need to do this:

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

From that guide: "it’s important to use a different authenticator app to store the authentication codes for your 1Password account. Storing them in 1Password would be like putting the key to a safe inside of the safe itself."

Also on a side note, not logged into the forums in a while, I have "agilebits forum" website stored in 1p, I gather this has changed as the login did not autofill.

Yes indeed; the forum has moved to a new URL:

Introducing 1Password.community — 1Password Forum

We were hoping to have 1Password updated to recognize existing discussions.agilebits.com Login items for 1password.community, however we ran into a bit of a technical snag that has put that work aside for now. As such I'd recommend updating any existing Login items with the new URL.

Ben

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much @Ben, I will continue to use separate app for one time codes for my 1password account. I did move over my other accounts one time codes into 1password though to keep it a little more simple.

• Ben
    Options

Very good! :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.