Unnecessary need for a Primary account with 1Password Account only to use Dropbox?!

I’ve been a longstanding user of 1Password, whereby I started with the version 3 and moved upwards. I’ve always used Dropbox to sync my vaults across all my devices until I moved to the 1Password account and paid membership. What bugs me to the point where I’m thinking of switching back is the following...
1) I was forced to use the Primary Paid 1P Master password even through I created a separate, private, linked account from the business paid membership. Why can’t I create a “Primary” Master password that originates from the secondary-linked 1P account? In other words, I wanted to separate my business world from my private world and I invited myself from the business-paid account, which became my primary vault and master password on all my devices.
2) even more annoyingly, I am unable to use Dropbox for two additional vaults that I have to sync with various people who are outside of my team and business and who do not have the 1P paid membership (account)! Why on earth do i need to have an extra vault to my existing six synced vaults, only to be able combine the sync features of both 1P account and Dropbox?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7, macOS 11.0 (beta), Windows
Sync Type: 1Password Account & Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Dropbox and 1Password account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nemanjamilanovic! Welcome to the forum!

1) I was forced to use the Primary Paid 1P Master password even through I created a separate, private, linked account from the business paid membership. Why can’t I create a “Primary” Master password that originates from the secondary-linked 1P account? In other words, I wanted to separate my business world from my private world and I invited myself from the business-paid account, which became my primary vault and master password on all my devices.

The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

In your case, if you want to unlock the 1Password app with your Business 1Password account, you need to either remove the Primary vault from the app, or set the Master Password for the Primary vault to be the same of your Business account.

2) even more annoyingly, I am unable to use Dropbox for two additional vaults that I have to sync with various people who are outside of my team and business and who do not have the 1P paid membership (account)!

Can you please elaborate on what you mean when you say that you are unable to share these vaults? What happens when you try to share these two vaults exactly?

• nemanjamilanovic
    nemanjamilanovic
    Community Member

Hello Ana and thanks for your reply... The problem is as follows:

I'm addressing the second part of the problem here because I find it to be completely bizarre; with the two "paid" subscription accounts in my 1Password, I am unable to add additional two vaults that are located in Dropbox. I firstly need to add an empty "Primary" account on my computer (or on my phone), which I won't use and I have to disable, only to be able to sync the two Dropbox vaults that I need.

I find this strange and I find it problematic, because I don't want to have another vault that I don't need and it creates confusion for me, because I've been using 1Password for so long, that to me, the name "Primary" account is the one associated with my main account to which I wish all my entries to go by default. So, even the fact that I can not name the subscription-based vault from it's "Private" name to a "Primary" name, so that I can keep my mental methodology the same as it was for years, after the move to a subscription-based account, is a bit mind-boggling.

• @nemanjahh

The recommended path forward would be to migrate the two vaults in Dropbox to a 1Password membership and discontinue using Dropbox for 1Password data. If the people you want to share these vaults with are not part of your family it may make sense to invite them as guests. You can learn more about how guests work, here:

Share with guests in 1Password Families

The need for a Primary vault comes from the way standalone (non-membership) vaults were designed. This would be the case even if you were not using a membership at all. You cannot have any standalone vaults without having a Primary vault first.

We generally discourage the use of standalone vaults especially in conjunction with membership accounts at this point. I would strongly suggest looking into getting the folks you want to share these vaults currently in Dropbox with on a membership, even if only as guests in your family. I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.