Documents are not supported in destination vault.

Options
raroche
raroche
Community Member

When I try to add a PDF file to my 1Password vault using the desktop app. I get this error "Documents are not supported in destination vault."-- 1Password version 7.6 on a Mac running Catalina. I sync my personal vault via Dropbox and have a subscription account.
Thanks

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Documents are not supported in destination vault.

Comments

• Hi @Raroche,

Correct, attachments are supported in standalone vaults. Documents are supported in 1Password.com memberships. You cannot move a Document into the standalone vault. I would recommend using your 1Password.com account to sync all of your data if that's an option for you. It's one less sync to worry about, and then you could move the Documents as needed. A 1Password.com membership contains a Private vault which only you would have access to if that was a concern for you.

• raroche
    raroche
    Community Member
    Options

thank you Tommy, I am not willing to add yet another syncing service to my iCloud and Dropbox both of which I have 100's of documents both business and personal in. I will have to do without the documents feature and continue to use my Dropbox for that.

• @raroche

With the error message you posted, it would seem you are currently using a 1Password.com account for syncing. I would not expect you to have seen it while using Dropbox and iCloud as both of those methods use attachments and do not support Documents. If you want to have us take a closer look at your setup, reach out to us.

Please send that email to support+forum@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. raroche
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/116196/documents-are-not-supported-in-destination-vault#latest

• raroche
    raroche
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Tommy, no this is for documents not attachments and I sync with my dropbox even though I have a subscription for reasons mentions above. I have many attachments that sync fine. Thanks

• Understood. Thank you for the update. :)

• chris_pv
    chris_pv
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_Tommy i think maybe your initial response forgot to include "NOT" in the first sentence. If it's true that stand-alone/desktop vaults don't support images yet, THAT IS PATHETIC and shameful that after 10+ years 1P doesn't support that. I for one do not want to subscribe, I'm a one-version-at-a-time buyer, and because of security concerns I will never ever allow my password file to be transmitted to any computer other than my own (the adage "if its on the internet its already insecure or been hacked" is my M.O.).

When will you allow desktop apps and local sync to store documents? That would be my #1 request, as it's the most glaring omission to date.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021
    Options

@chris_pv

Attachments are supported on standalone vaults. Documents are not. Attachments refer to how items were/are attached in standalone vaults. Documents refer to how items are kept/stored within 1Password memberships. Documents live as separate items in 1Password.com memberships. They are not required to be associated with any one item. You are free to add any item type as an attachment to standalone vaults.

There are two different items being discussed. The original poster had both a standalone vault and a membership and was trying to move a Document out of the membership vault and into a Primary vault which does not support Documents as individual items. If the original poster had need to move the item to the standalone vault it would have needed to be added as an attachment.

The terminology seems to be causing a bit of confusion.

• chris_pv
    chris_pv
    Community Member
    Options

Ah I see. Thanks and sorry for being perturbed.

• Ah that's ok. The terminology is what caused the confusion. If we can answer any questions, please feel free to ask.

This discussion has been closed.