Feature Request: Add Numbers and Symbols to Word Passwords

I like to use the words recipe in order to create passwords in 1Password. However, there are many sites that require symbols, numbers, and a certain number of characters. I understand that I can easily create a password that would meet the site's criteria (numbers, symbols, length) using the characters recipe, but what if I'd prefer to use the words generator? In that case the only options are either to not use words at all OR to manually add on a number or symbol to the word password. But this latter option is not ideal for a variety of reasons, including that I stick the number or symbol at the end, which offers less randomness than placing it at random locations. Moreover, if for some reason I need to go back and edit the password for some other reason, it means that I also have to keep remembering to add in one or more extra characters manually each time.

My feature request is that it would be nice if the words generator also included a slider to insert a certain number of digits or symbols into the word password. The alternative shouldn't have to be giving up on word passwords entirely and switching to random characters. There should be a built in way to easily add numbers and symbols to a password that is otherwise all words.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @rbudish,

which version of 1Password are you currently using?

Mac (in the 7.7 betas) and iOS (7.7 release) already do this:

• rbudish
    rbudish
    Community Member

Super cool. I'm on 7.6 so I didn't see that when I posted, and shortly after I posted I got an iOS update that added the option to have symbols and digits as separators, so yay for that!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words @rbudish, I am glad to hear that you like the feature :)

• vsvs
    vsvs
    Community Member

I love the memorable password style in the current Android & iOS version (as shown in @rudy's screenshot)! I would love to see it in the 1password website version too. I often have to access passwords from computers with installation restrictions (no Chrome, Firefox, etc extensions, many places without mobile access and they aren't too hot on downloaded applications either!) and the rare time I have to update a password I'm always a little sad I only have 'words' on the web app. Unfortunately I then also have to play human RNG to add numbers, symbols, and capitals to satisfy the password verifier I'm up against.

I'm glad it's come to most places now since it seems like it was a frequent request!

• Parity across all our clients is something we strive for, so I hope we'll be able to make that change in the web client in the future, @vsvs. :smile:

ref: dev/b5/b5#6994

• meklund
    meklund
    Community Member

I'm glad to see this feature has been added. I came to this forum to make this exact request.

Hopefully, you also guarantee that there is at least one digit and one symbol because password recipes often require this,.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@meklund:

Indeed, if you choose that option, that's how things work :+1:

This discussion has been closed.