Print all passwords

UliR
UliR
Community Member

Dear all,
hope this post finds you well. I tried to find out if there is a way that I can print all my passwords? Thanks in advance

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @UliR

There is likely a way to make that happen, however I'm struggling to think of a scenario where we'd recommend doing so. Because of the nature of the data in 1Password we tend to discourage printing to physical paper. Would you mind elaborating about what it is that you're trying to accomplish? There may be another way to go about it that might be more efficient/productive.

Ben

• UliR
    UliR
    Community Member

Hi Ben, thanks for your answer. I want to print everything so I can store all the passwords in a physical vault. Reason for that is, that my wife is not willing to use 1password ;) And that way I can make sure she still has access in case something happens to me. Also 1 Password could get out of business (I know it is unlikely).

Cheers

• Thanks for the explanation @UliR!

I want to print everything so I can store all the passwords in a physical vault. Reason for that is, that my wife is not willing to use 1password ;)

She might reconsider if she takes a moment to think about what it would be like to have to deal with dozens (if not hundreds) of pages of printed records. ;) I don't know about you, but I've got over 1000 entries stored in 1Password. Re-typing all of that information from paper records is a non-starter for me.

Also consider that every time you add or edit an entry you're going to have to re-print. Unless you're printing one entry per page, you'll likely have to re-print the entire database. Either way, the process is likely going to be quite time (and paper) consuming.

Even if ultimately she is unwilling to use 1Password itself, a digital export would be much easier to maintain and work with (and back up) than printed pages. Either a printed copy or an export is going to completely defeat all of the protections of 1Password though, in that you'll then be storing a full copy of your data in an unencrypted form.

How to export data from 1Password

And that way I can make sure she still has access in case something happens to me.

For this case we recommend printing and storing a physical copy of your Emergency Kit, with the Master Password written in.

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

Also 1 Password could get out of business (I know it is unlikely).

I suppose that is always a concern for any business, however I would point out that 1Password is growing and healthy. Also, even if we were to somehow disappear off the face of the planet tomorrow, you would still be able to access your data. Your data is cached on each of the devices you have the 1Password app (or 1Password X extension) on. Syncing would no longer work, and you would of course want to export your data soon after anyway, but us going out of business would not prevent you (or your wife) from accessing your data.

It is entirely up to you of course, but I do not feel that printing your 1Password database is going to be the best solution here.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.