1Password USB Sync Betas

roustem
edited February 2014 in iOS
We have a very first build of the USB Sync utility for everyone who is missing the option to sync directly with your Mac.

This utility is based on the new iTunes File Sharing sync feature available in 1Password 4 for iOS. It detects changes made on both desktop and iOS device and synchronizes both.

Please sign up as a tester here: https://rink.hockeya...3963d47f0e7dc83

After we accept the request, you'll get an email about being approved and then be able to download the USB Sync Utility.

Comments

• A few things:
    1. This is a very early beta, be sure to back up your data before testing this. Also, please test it while you have old data in the app and also do fresh installs to see how the tool works with a clean app and no data in it.
    2. If 1Password 4 on iOS devices is still running after you complete the sync, please go to Settings > Sync, and tap on Sync Now. This will reload the data in the app. We plan to improve it in a future update to 1Password 4 to make it a bit more automatic.
    3. Be sure to test changes in both ways, make sure it's working properly.
  • I gave it a try, but the 1PasswordUSBSync app crashes shortly after I open it. When I first open the app, I see the first screenshot (attached). Then, about a second later, I see the error shown in the other screenshot (attached) saying "USB Sync: Cannot find local data file on this Mac."

- Mac OS X 10.8.2 running 1Password 3.8.20 (build 31499)
    - iOS 6.0.2 running 1Password 4.1b9 (401009)
    - 1PasswordUSBSync 1.0b4

Steps to reproduce:

1. Connect iPhone to Mac via USB
    2. Launch 1PasswordUSBSync

Are there any steps required to make the sync work (e.g., removing the *old* version of 1Password Pro from the iPhone, opening 1Password on the iPhone or the Mac, etc)?

If there's any additional info I can provide to help troubleshoot the issue, please let me know.
  • TheMaJa
    TheMaJa
    Community Member
    I am observing the very same app behavior as jasonrudolph. Any hints would be appreciated.
  • What version of the Mac app are you running?

Please open 1Password > Preferences > General menu to see the location of the data file on your Mac.

Thanks!
  • TheMaJa
    TheMaJa
    Community Member
    edited December 2012
    I am running the MAS version. Data location is: /Users/<user name>/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/
  • Thank you. I think I found and fixed the crash.

Please use the HockeyApp distribution page to get the new beta:
    https://rink.hockeyapp.net/recruit/81dd2bf42b4942f893963d47f0e7dc83
  • TheMaJa
    TheMaJa
    Community Member
    Tested beta 7, still getting the "[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cannot find local data file on this Mac" error ([/font]actually twice). But no crash afterwards.
  • Thank you! I am publishing b8, hopefully that will fix it.
  • jhm
    jhm
    Community Member
    edited December 2012
    (My previous post in this forum about USB sync not working seems to have disappeared ?!?)

I tested b8 and it worked - I could sync a change from iPhone to Mac and vice versa.

However, it does not seem reliable, e.g. I've had a few crashes.

My latest test is a deletion on the Mac (so that it has 231 items) compared to the iPhone (232 items). However, when I run USB sync b8, it initially shows:

"1,320 items ... 1,325 items
    1 changed item ... 6 changed items
    Label"

and then after a while:

"(iPhone 1Password icon) (Mac 1Password icon)
    232 items ... 231 items
    no changes ... <blank>
    Changes found, ready to sync."

i.e. it shows the wrong info initially (why 1320/5 items compared to my actual 230 or so?!?) and then it doesn't seem to show correctly that 1 change is required ?
  • jhm
    jhm
    Community Member
    I've synced the 1 change. Quit the app and restart the app (b8). It again shows the initial wrong values and then after a while:

"231 items ... 231 items
    no changes

I press sync. Quit and restart the app and get the same again.
  • jhm
    jhm
    Community Member
    Checking both, my Mac has 231 items but the iPhone still has 232 items, i.e. they do not sync even though I go through the sync process and it says "sync complete".
  • jhm
    jhm
    Community Member
    Tried b9. The initial incorrect display has been fixed but the above problem remains, i.e.

I run the app and it shows:

"231 items ... 231 items
    no changes

I click sync - "Sync completed".

I rerun the app and get the above again.

When I go into 1Password on the iPhone, I sync the data but still find it out of sync with my Mac (the iPhone has an extra item which should not be there).
  • TheMaJa
    TheMaJa
    Community Member
    Beta 9 worked in my first tests. Unfortunately the new year is coming very close here in Europe now, no more time for testing today. Will continue tomorrow!

Thanks Roustem for all the betas and all the best in 2013 for AgileBits!
  • Thank you so much for your time!

Happy New Year!!!
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    I do notice that it crashes on open if your iOS device is not attached. Happy New Year!
  • jdonato
    jdonato
    Community Member
    Hi
    Having the same issue as jasonrudolph: Utility tells me "Cannot Sync: [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cannot find local data file on this Mac"[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Mac OS X 10.8.2 running 1Password 3.8.20 (build 31499)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- iOS 6.0.1 running 1Password 4.1b10[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- 1PasswordUSBSync 1.0b9[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Steps to reproduce:[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Connect iPad to Mac via USB[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Launch 1PasswordUSBSync[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]or[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Launch 1PasswordUSBSync[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2.[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Connect iPad to Mac via USB[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It does not matter if 1Password on the Mac is running or not. I have restarted, permissions are perfect, 5GB available RAM, 500GB available HD[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My data file is on ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain[/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]​Anything I should be doing or activating or turning on/off on any of the devices/apps that maybe I am missing?[/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Thanks and Happy New Year!![/font]
  • jdonato
    jdonato
    Community Member
    By the way, no crashes here, it just can't find my local data file. Even if I click Reload on the Utility's "File" menu, same dialog window...
  • jdonato wrote:

By the way, no crashes here, it just can't find my local data file. Even if I click Reload on the Utility's "File" menu, same dialog window...

Thank you. This should be fixed in the b10.
  • Henry Y. wrote:

I do notice that it crashes on open if your iOS device is not attached. Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

I cannot recreate the crash on OS X 10.8.2, iTunes 11.0.1. It just shows "Waiting for device" message.
  • jdonato
    jdonato
    Community Member
    roustem wrote:

Happy New Year!

I cannot recreate the crash on OS X 10.8.2, iTunes 11.0.1. It just shows "Waiting for device" message.

Same here. And the utility immediately recognizes my device when I connect it.
  • jhm
    jhm
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    I tried the latest v14 beta but the syncing is still not working.

iPhone:
    234 items
    ==
    189 logins
    44 secure notes
    1 generated password

On my Mac, I do not have the 1 generated password and there should be 1 less login, i.e. 232 items.

USB sync shows:
    "232 items == 232 items
    no changes== ...

I press "sync" and it instantly changes to "Sync completed".

However, the two are not in sync. There is still the 232/234 discrepancy.

I can repeat the above and get the same result (232/234). Syncing is not happening.
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    It's still crashing for me, I submitted the crash logs w/ HockeyApp
  • cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Does the app need to be localized??

Corentin
  • cortig wrote:

Does the app need to be localized??

Corentin

Yes, it would be great to localize it. I am waiting a bit for the things to settle to avoid re-translating the changes.
  • o.ne
    o.ne
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    Which version is used for sync if both versions are installed on iOS, beta and normal?
  • o.ne wrote:

Which version is used for sync if both versions are installed on iOS, beta and normal?

Currently USB Sync will only sync with the iOS beta version, if the beta version is installed.

I would like to add an option to choose beta or non-beta at some point.
  • cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    roustem wrote:

Yes, it would be great to localize it. I am waiting a bit for the things to settle to avoid re-translating the changes.

If you add the strings to the iOS project it should be easy. If you create a new one for this app, ping me ;-)

Corentin
  • o.ne
    o.ne
    Community Member
    When connecting an iDevice to iTunes via wifi, the sync tool recognizes it, but can not sync:

(null) connected, searching for 1Password app...

Found com.agilebits.beta.onepassword-ios installed on (null)
    Loading encryption keys
    Loading local items
    Ready to copy data to (null)
    Copying data to (null)...
    Sync completed

Will this be supported in the future?
  • jhm
    jhm
    Community Member
    jhm wrote:
    I can repeat the above and get the same result (232/234). Syncing is not happening.

I tried with the latest 1Password 4.1b12 (401012):

"Fixed problem where item deletion was not synced."

but my Mac and iPhone are still out of sync (the phone has two additional items which should not be there anymore).
  • o.ne
    o.ne
    Community Member
    I found one serious problem (at least for me):

When there are changes in one element on both sides, the conflict is not identified, the last changed side (property 'updatedAt') overwrites the other.
    By contrast, the 'old' wifi sync identifies the conflict and shows the data with the possibility to choose which side is correct.

I think this is because there is no sync state saved for the sync partners in the new usb sync tool.
    I hope this is going to be fixed, as i think it is a 'no-go' if i could possibly lose data without even noticing it.
    There must be the possibility to choose which side is correct or (even better) to merge the data.

For most people this is a situation that will never occur, but for a power user who uses more than one desktop and more than one mobile device, there is a higher risk of changing data of one entry on multiple devices.
    Just think of expiring passwords that you need to renew on the go (mobile), but you just updated the notes of that entry a day ago (desktop) without having the time to sync yet.
    Back home again... sync... notes are gone.
This discussion has been closed.