1Password 4.0.3, Problem Logging Into Charles Schwab

widdershins
widdershins
Community Member
I am a new user of 1Password for iOS. I found a forum post from August 12, 2011 by "Gib Hoxie" which seems to exactly describe my issue getting started with 1Password for iOS. To quote that post:

"Yesterday's update of the iPad to iOS 4.3.4 (8K2) caused my previously working login to Schwab's accounts to fail.
1) The login information is correct.
2) Pressing the login arrow takes me to the correct URL and the necessary fields are filled in correctly.
3) When I press the "Login" button, the button "flashes" normally, but no progress happens in the URL window."

...except that the behavior is not due to an iOS update; it is what I see on first use. I can manually login on my iPad using Safari. If I do exactly the same login procedure through the 1Password browser, it fails. I am using the 1Password keychain synced from my Mac, where it works. I am running iOS 6.0.1.

I couldn't tell from that previous forum thread if there was a resolution.

Comments

• Thanks for taking the time to contact us widdershins, and welcome to the forums!

I don't personally have a Schwab account so it is difficult for me to test the entire login procedure but I can test a lot of it with fake data. I created a brand new test login and was able to fill the username and password into the login screen automatically just like you did. I first tested on iPhone and I was able to tap the Log In button on both the home page and the actual login page. When I switched to iPad, I was able to click the Log In button on the homepage (i.e. this login form on http://schwab.com), but not on the login page I was redirected to afterwards (i.e. this login form on https://client.schwa...enterLogin.aspx).

I need to investigate why the Log In button is disabled on the second login page, but in the meantime, you should be able to login from the schwab.com homepage. Please give that a try and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • widdershins
    widdershins
    Community Member
    @dteare:

Thanks for investigating. I can confirm that the login direct from the main page works for me also, so that is a current solution. I'm not sure if that login area has always been there or worked as it does now, since that's not the login url that I have saved in the 1Password keychain.

If, on the main schwab.com page, you click on the "Login" link at the very top of the page, and then from the drop-down choose schwab.com, you arrive at the page titled "Customer Center Login" with the url that you referred to as a redirect. That is in fact the page I have normally used directly. That page exhibits the behavior that login doesn't work inside 1Password, but does work in iOS Safari. It would seem worthwhile to know why that would be, in case Schwab is doing something like testing for browser identity, or some javascript voodoo, that could be a pitfall on other sites.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Yep. I have a Schwab account myself. For some reason they disable the Login button on that secondary page. I've not seen the same behavior on other sites, but we'll see if there is anything we can do about it on our end. Thanks for following up! :)
  • widdershins
    widdershins
    Community Member
    Follow-up. I emailed Charles Schwab, who replied that they had forwarded the issue to Tech Support and I should call Tech Support for live assistance. Before calling, I tested again and the login page that failed before now works. Hmm.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Chuck works in mysterious ways. :)
  • pekala
    pekala
    Community Member

Is Schwab still limiting passwords to very few characters and no "special characters"? I've been concerned about this for years. Is there a 1Password way around that?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Any restrictions on character set or length are on the server side. There is nothing 1Password or any other app can do about that. You would need to contact the company.

This discussion has been closed.