Does 1P fill in non-password fields (address, phone # etc)?

Options
bulgie
bulgie
Community Member
edited October 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Trying out 1P, switched from Dashlane. Installation and export/import seem to have gone without a hitch. But I am missing some functions that I really liked in Dashlane.

Most important is filling in fields in websites so I don't have to type. I don't mean sites I have already saved, I mean a new site that wants my firstname, lastname, mailing address and all that. Dashlane would fill in all the fields for me with a single click. I can't see whether this is a supported feature in 1P or not -- do I have to enable it somehow? I emailed support, and they replied with a generic email on how to install the app and browser extension, all stuff I have done already.

Thanks for reading.
Cheers
Mark

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bulgie
    bulgie
    Community Member
    Options

Well I found it, consider this question answered. Unless I'm mistaken though, it takes 3 clicks to do what Dashlane did with one click, and you have to remember what the stupid button for "Identities" looks like. Why don't devs use text labels on buttons anymore? Not stylish I guess. Grumble grumble.

I will only ever have one identity, so being forced to choose it each and every time is annoying.

Again if there's a one-click way to do this and I'm just not seeing it, please clue me in.

Thanks

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @bulgie ,
    Welcome to 1Password! :)

We used to have 1Password show up on its own inside fields such as "Name" and "Address", suggesting the identity item(s) you have in your 1Password, but that caused a lot of issues for users claiming that it shows up everywhere and disrupting their workflow, so we've toned it down a couple of notches and prevented from 1Password to show up in every text field it finds.

Currently, when you want to autofill your identity item, you will have to select it from the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser. You can test it here:
    1. Open this link: https://fill.dev/form/identity-simple
    2. Click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser and unlock 1Password.
    3. Select your identity item and click on "Autofill".

Keep in mind that a lot of users have multiple identity items (different addresses, different emails, different nicknames etc), so you can rename the item from "Identity" to whichever name you'd like. You can name it after your full name, or your address, which will make it easy to distinguish from your other items and easy to locate when you need it. Simply select the identity item in your 1Password and click on "Edit", then rename it to whatever you'd like and save the changes.

I hope you'll find this information useful. We're always working on improving 1Password and its abilities, so your feedback here is very much appreciated! If you have anything else to add, feel free to share.

• bulgie
    bulgie
    Community Member
    Options

OK thanks. I can see how that would be a plus for some people. It's a step backward for me, but I can live with it. If that behavior could be made optional, I would be ecstatic.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can totally see how some users can benefit from this being an optional feature @bulgie .
    Thanks again for the feedback! Much appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.