Changing Website Passwords Using 1password for iOS

Options
rowdyamerican
rowdyamerican
Community Member

I am a new user of 1password. I'm currently using a 30 day trial. How can I use the iOS version of 1password to change website passwords? I read a support article on the 1password website but I still can't figure it out. I am a visually impaired user so step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably missing something very obvious but I just can't figure it out.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.2 Dev. Beta 3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rowdyamerican

There is no standard enforced upon website developers as to how they allow customers to change their password. Work has been started on a standard website developers can opt to adopt which will help determine the page where customers can change their password, which is a good first step, but there is a long way to go and it will be a while before anything is widely adopted.

As such the answer may vary from website to website. Generally, you'll need to:

1. Sign into your account on the website in question
    2. Navigate to their 'change password' page
    3. Fill your current password, if prompted to do so
    4. Edit the existing Login item you have saved in 1Password for the website and use the password generator to create a new password by tapping the gear icon inside the password field
    5. Save your edits so the Login item has the new password saved on it
    6. Enter that new password into the change password form. Often times there will be two fields for this, which must be identical. If it is helpful you can copy the password that was generated by 1Password to the clipboard, and then paste it into the fields.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• rowdyamerican
    rowdyamerican
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben. That really does help a lot. I wasn't seeing the option to edit a login and that's what was throwing me off. I guess I need to pay more attention to the screen reader.

• Ben
    Options

I'm glad to hear that helped! :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Bassebus
    Bassebus
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hello @Ben.

I Find step 6 very frustrating. A Change form often has 2-3 inputs:

1) old pw
    2) new pw
    3) repeat new pw

When utsing autofill, 1password mostly changes (1). This is wrong. Best case it changes (2), but that still wont help.

What cant you simply code it smart enough to fill both 2+3 and leave (1) alone?

Even better, make it fill (1) With the First password from history so the full process gets automated.

The only way to do this today is to manuelly go into the 1pw entry and copy the new PW and then paste it into (2)+(3), not very user friendly.

This is also often a problem when doing new signups, its often boxes (2)+(3) but only (2) gets auto filled, and then one also needs to do the manual copy...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2020
    Options

@Bassebus

1Password does not (cannot) control the filling of the data it provides into form fields; that is handled by iOS itself.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.