standalone 1password6 account to join a family account

Options
plouffejj
plouffejj
Community Member

I know there are many threads that have information about migrating from standalone 1password6 to a family account, however, I'm not sure if our situation is normal or not. My daughter only has 1password6 on her iPhone and not on her MacBook. I want to invite her to our family account. Does not having an OS installation present any problems in migrating? I had issues getting my data across when I switched to our family account, I'm trying to avoid any issues with losing any of her passwords.
And at one time I had a link to the migration procedure when I set up the family account but have since lost it; can you provide that link again?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hi @plouffejj

It would be rather odd for someone to still be running 1Password 6 on an iOS device (e.g. iPhone) at this stage. Could you please confirm exactly which version your daughter has installed on her iPhone? You can check in the Settings section of the 1Password app, at the very bottom.

And at one time I had a link to the migration procedure when I set up the family account but have since lost it; can you provide that link again?

Certainly:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Thanks!

Ben

• plouffejj
    plouffejj
    Community Member
    Options

I was mistaken. She must have the standalone since it was before we had the idea that a family version would work for us. Anyway, her version is 7.0.4

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for confirming, @plouffejj. She can get the latest version here:

1Password for iOS on the App Store

(v 7.7 as of writing)

Then once you've sent her an invite the "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account" link should help. :)

Ben

• plouffejj
    plouffejj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Since I had some issues when setting up the family account, is there something we should do to recover her current data in case something goes wrong with migration? And is there a problem with using 1Password only on her iPhone and not have another installation on another device?

• Ben
    Options

Thanks. Since I had some issues when setting up the family account, is there something we should do to recover her current data in case something goes wrong with migration?

I wouldn't anticipate any problems, but if you'd like to make a backup of her standalone setup prior to migrating you can do that using these instructions:

1Password backups - iOS

And is there a problem with using 1Password only on her iPhone and not have another installation on another device?

I would say it isn't necessarily ideal to only have 1Password on a single device, as you've then got a single point of failure. But she can sign into her account from a web browser on a computer and print her Emergency Kit, which would help her access her data in the event her iPhone were lost/stolen/damaged:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Ben

This discussion has been closed.