I am losing records in 1Password 7 (Mac & iOS)

dannys
dannys
Community Member

I am losing entries (records) from 1 password. It has happened 3 times in recent weeks and each time I was able to reach back into a backup archive and find enough data to recreate them but I am really shaken. It's been happening since I updated to 1password 7 in mid Sept.The first time I lost data, I was using Mojave on the Mac. and I lost 2 entries (records) on 2 separate occasions. Now I'm using Catalina. and I've just noticed 2 other entries are gone.

Any help will be appreciated.

Danny

1Password Version: 7.6 Mac app store
Extension Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600006) Mac App Store
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: via 1Password

Comments

• Hi @dannys

I'm sorry to hear about the situation. Is there any commonality between the items in question, which might be unique to them? For example, are all of the items in the same vault? Or do they have the same tag? Additionally, when this happens, are the items in the Trash, or where are you finding them to recover them?

Please let me know.

Ben

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

Well .. yes. the loss occurs in 'two s". case 1: I control two routers in two different properties. So I had an entry called something like. ASUS location 1. and another entry ASUS location 2. ...when I checked for them at the end of September (having input them in mid August). they were both gone,

Similarly, case 2: I have an account with a broker, that account was input. as XYZ broker (Danny) and also XYZ broker (Liz). both are gone, they were there last week but there are not there now.

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

These items are NOT in the trash. I haven't cleared my trash as I just leave it alone, currently there are 30+ items in the trash

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

There may also be other items that have vanished but the above two cases are the ones I am 100% certain about.

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

Yes, the items that have gone. have gone from one vault but I only use one vault. I don't use tags (as far as I'm aware). I am not able to recover the items from anywhere, but I am looking in other places to pull back user names and passwords, like in the encrypted password section of the safari browser.

• @dannys

Thanks for the additional details. If you sign in at https://start.1password.com/ using a web browser on a computer, do you see the items in the vault? If not, do these items appear in Archived Items?

View and restore previous versions of items

Ben

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

Unfortunately, the records are NOT there at the 1password.com website

• Thanks again @dannys. My best guess at this point then is that you actually have another vault that you aren't aware of. I don't see how these items could be completely deleted and not appear in Archived Items, as the client apps don't have the ability to clear items from there, unless the items aren't actually being stored in a membership-based vault at all. Since non-membership vaults aren't synced via 1Password.com one possible explanation is that the items are only being stored on one device. Have you checked all of your devices for these items?

To help us confirm or deny this theory I'd like to take a look at a diagnostics from each device you're accessing your 1Password account from. I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to [email protected].

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/116402/i-am-losing-records-in-1password-7-mac-ios#latest
    • Your forum username: dannys

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

ref: LQA-37672-158

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

Ben, I have been online to my 1password.com and into my vault and found the trash can (bottom left). it has 37 items in it and I click on archive but there is nothing there to restore.

• It looks like we were replying at the same time @dannys. Please see my post above.

Ben

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

I am somewhat uncomfortable with the current situation, as a safety measure, how can I backup my dataset as it is. My problem of lost data persists but I should need to lock in what I've got while we figure it out.

• @dannys

You can make a copy of this folder:

/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

Ben

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

Thank you Ben, much appreciated Danny

PS I've sent you 4 emails as instructed.

• Very good @dannys. To help me track those down could you please post the support ID you received from BitBot? It'll be in the subject line, something like this:

Re: [#SUPPORT ID] Question about 1Password

Ben

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Ben. forgive me but I don't understand. where to find the support ID or what Bitbot is? In the 4 emails. I have included the link https://1password.community/discussion/116402/i-am-losing-records-in-1password-7-mac-ios#latest
    in the subject line of all the emails, the wording beings as follows ....

[personal info removed by moderator]

I hope that's enough

Appreciate the commitment to solve this, it's such a biggie for me!

• No worries, @dannys. You should've gotten an automated reply to your first email from "BitBot" and the subject line should've looked like what I posted above. The subject line contains the support ID. I was able to track down your emails regardless though. My bigger concern is if you didn't receive the message from BitBot you're unlikely to receive further follow-up emails from us? Could you please double check that you have not in fact received an auto-responder after the very first email you sent us?

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi @dannys

I wanted to verify that you've received the email from my colleague Brenty? Please let me know.

Ben

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

Hi Ben, no I have not. that's the second email I haven't received from 1P. I'm at [email protected] and [email protected]

• Thanks; I was afraid that might be the case. I've asked Brenty to re-send.

Ben

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

Ben, I have not received any communication from you since I sent you the 4 emails with the diagnostic information on October 19. Is there an alternative route so that we can deal with this matter? Regards Danny

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2020

@dannys:

Do you mind taking a look at your spam folder in your email client, and make sure our emails have not ended up there perhaps? I can see that my colleague Brenty sent a message to you 4 days ago, so it's worth taking a look in the spam folder too at this point.

ref: FTN-85451-592

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Thank you Ag_Ana
    There is nothing received in the junk/spam folder
    I think you have two email addresses for me [removed by 1Password staff because it included personal information-- this is a public forum]
    What do you suggest? I have a webform on one of my websites that directs mail to me, do you want to try one of those email aliases? Or may I call you, if so please supply a phone no or I can supply mine

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dannys:

I have removed the email addresses from your post for your privacy, since you might not want to have them on a public forum ;)

I think I see what is happening now: the diagnostics report that we needed to look at to troubleshoot this issue did not come from either of those two email addresses, it came from another one. For security reasons, I cannot say here which address it is, but it's not one of those two. Hopefully this will be enough to ring a bell :)

If you look at that third mailbox, you should see our replies in the inbox.

• dannys
    dannys
    Community Member

Thank you for removing my email addresses and protecting my security, I have retrieved the helpful email from Brentys and I'm going to respond to him now via email. Many thanks, I'm feeling better already.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @dannys! I am glad I could help :)

This discussion has been closed.