1password Browser Address Bar Shortcut

I'm trialing 1password and really, really like it so far. One thing that is missing that LastPass has is the ability to search from the address bar using the browser's search engine shortcuts. For example, I would type 'lp', hit tab, then start typing the thing that I wanted to search in LastPass. It would give typeahead search of the password database while I was typing. Is this something that is possible in 1password? If not by default, is there an option to search via URL/querystring? If so, I can manually add it to the browser as a search engine shortcut.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.1
OS Version: Win 10 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:address bar

Comments

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited October 2020

Hello @GaTechThomas

Thank you for using 1Password. I am not familiar with LastPass. However, based on your description, I assume that typing "lb" will call up a popup to search for an item in LastPass? If that is the case, you can also call up 1Password X anytime without having to click on the address bar by pressing "Ctrl+Shift+X" on Chrome and "Ctrl+Period" on Firefox to instantly searching for your item in your vaults.

• GaTechThomas
    GaTechThomas
    Community Member

Thank you. I will try that. I would prefer to use the address bar so that I don't have to learn yet another custom shortcut sequence. The address bar shortcut is Alt-D, so I hit that shortcut and then have a ton of things that are fairly standard in the address bar, such as search engine shortcuts.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @GaTechThomas ,

1Password does not interact with your browser's address bar. However your workflow can work as follows:
    1. Open your browser and start typing in your address bar.
    2. Your browser will show you results based on what you are typing. Select the website you need and go to it.
    3. When the page loads, 1Password will automatically show up inside the username/password field, allowing you to autofill it from there.

The alternative is as Nhat mentioned above - press CTRL+SHIFT+X to open 1Password and search in it instead of searching in the browser's address bar.

I know change can be hard at times, and I hope the learning curve won't be too steep :)

• GaTechThomas
    GaTechThomas
    Community Member

No worries and thank you for your time. The existing options will work for me, just trying to reduce cognitive load where possible.

To provide a bit more info in case it's a viable feature in the future, the following link shows how to set up a custom user shortcut similar to the one that LastPass implemented via their browser extension. You should be able to quickly setup a shortcut to search 1password community by providing URL "https://1password.community/search?Search=%s" and keyword of, say, "1pc". From there, to search, you would go to address bar (Alt+D or Ctrl+I or F6), type 1pc, hit tab, type a search phrase, and hit enter.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95426

In short, typing in the browser address bar gives typeahead search results by hitting a parameterized local URL endpoint for LastPass. LastPass security is pretty good, so I'm assuming that their browser extension is able to provide an endpoint that only the browser's address bar can access.

In any case, I'm sold on 1password. Will be purchasing and recommending to others.

Thanks again!

• Hello @GaTechThomas,

Thank you for the additional information on LastPass's feature, and it is certainly interesting. However, I am not sure if it would speed up the process since you will have to use multiple keyboard shortcuts and typing to get to the search bar while you only have to use "CTRL+SHIFT+X" to achieve a similar result in 1Password X. That being said, I think it is just a matter of a few tries, and you should get used to 1Password X and its differences.

This discussion has been closed.