Backup-Restore vs Folder Sync-Restore - for migrating data to a new computer

sammy_j
sammy_j
Community Member

Hello,

Using 1P7 on Mac, Standalone license (i.e not membership). Use Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner daily to backup to multiple USB drives. The idea was/is to use the latest 1P backup file, from one of the USB drives, when moving to a new Mac (or if the current Mac HDD crashes..).

I read this article: "How to move your 1Password data to a new computer or device".

So, now I am wondering should I also be doing a folder sync of my vaults to an USB drive (in addition to daily backups) and use the procedure outlined above to restore 1P data onto a new computer (or if the current MAC crashes and I lose data)? Or it is six of one and half-a-dozen of another!? :)

(I do realize that backup backups up everything but for folder sync, I have to do it for every vault).

Any insight would be appreciated!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member

Anyone have any comments on this?!?

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member

@Ben - You have been very helpful with queries to this forum - can you comment on my newbie question? :)

• Hi @sammy_j

My apologies; I was off yesterday. :) The recommended solution here would be a 1Password account, whereby you'd have access to your data on any devices you sign into your account on. You can read more about accounts & membership here:

About 1Password membership

You can learn about how to migrate to a membership here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Beyond that I don't have specific recommendations other than what is outlined in the guide you linked. I would say that generally sync is designed to get data from one computer to another whereas backups aren't, necessarily, but there is nothing technical preventing them from being used that way. I hope that helps!

Ben

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

Thanks a lot!

Yes, considering membership - just need a few more months to move over!

One last question on this:

generally sync is designed to get data from one computer to another whereas backups aren't, necessarily

So backups are used only to restore on the same computer where the backup was created? I cannot take the backup created on one Mac and restore on 1P on a different Mac? (May be, that's what you meant by > but there is nothing technical preventing them from being used that way )

• You're welcome!

I cannot take the backup created on one Mac and restore on 1P on a different Mac?

You can, there is just no mechanism / UI in the software to support doing that. Stand-alone vault backups were designed for the purpose of restoring to the same computer they were made by, but again there isn't anything technical that makes them computer specific. You'd just have to put the file in the same location as you found it on the original computer as that is the only folder 1Password looks for backups in. It doesn't offer the ability to restore a backup from an arbitrary folder.

In short: you'd be making more work for yourself by using a feature in a way it wasn't intended to be used. But if that is the way you'd prefer to do it, there is nothing wrong with that, and it should work.

Ben

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Thanks again @Ben !!

You'd just have to put the file in the same location as you found it on the original computer as that is the only folder 1Password looks for backups in. It doesn't offer the ability to restore a backup from an arbitrary folder.

Good point. I should have mentioned that when I move the data from one Mac to another, I'd do that using Carbon Copy Cloner/Time Machine to move the data (with all the structure in tact). So the backup file(s) of 1P will be saved to the exact location in the new Mac and then I would use 1P to restore that backup.

That was the thinking.

Quick question on Folder sync to USB Stick, @Ben : Assume the file on USB stick is encrypted - using the same master password for that vault?

All of this is moot when I move to membership!

• Quick question on Folder sync to USB Stick, @Ben : Assume the file on USB stick is encrypted - using the same master password for that vault?

That is correct. :)

All of this is moot when I move to membership!

Yes indeed! 🎉

Ben

This discussion has been closed.