"Generate new password" window overwrites old password on website

abarkaloff
abarkaloff
Community Member

When I want to change a password on a site I use "generate new password" and the only option is to "copy and save," and that overrides the old password on the site I want to update. So then I need to look up the old password again. Afterwards, I have the new login with the updated password and now a new password on it's own! Even if I were to select the password and then CMD-C the new password is still saved, the window disappears and the old password field on the web site is overwritten with the new password, rather than written into the "new replacement password" field.

Suffice to say, this is tedious. If only only you provided an option to "copy" instead of "copy and save" in the "generate new password" window this would take care of the issue. I realize, as you have written in your past post replies, that you want to make sure that the newly generated password isn't lost. But that's not my issue because the new password is in my clipboard and I can paste it to the new site, and (depending on how long the clipboard is set to hold) then I can also manually update the old login or 1Password, and also 1password notices the change and asks me if I want to update the old login - so really that's already taken care of.

I have tried Dashlane, and while there are so many issues with that system and hardly as elegant as 1Password, I really do think that one thing they do well - quickly generate and update passwords right in the password field - is great and would love to see it in 1Password. Even just by allowing "copy" instead of "copy and save."

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Generate new password overwrites old password on website

Comments

• Hi @abarkaloff

quickly generate and update passwords right in the password field

I may be misunderstanding what you're asking for, but I believe we already offer this ability. Instead of using the "generate new password" button, edit the item already saved for the site in question, click the gear icon in the password field, and save the edit. Then you can click on the password field on the item to copy it.

Please give that a try. I think it will work better for you. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.