Login suggestion unclear with multiple matches

Options
schumatt
schumatt
Community Member

I ran into a frustrating situation with 1Password today due to an unexpected password prompt with checking out with the Target app today.

I was unexpectedly prompted to log in to my Target account when using their app’s Wallet feature. Normally not a problem, as 1Password would handle this, but their system kept rejecting the password. Digging into what happened later, I see 1Password was suggesting the “wrong” login. Here’s what happened and how I think it could be improved.

Background
I have two saved logins related to Target: one for shopping and one for my RedCard debit card. The main one is stored with target.com as the domain; RedCard is rcam.target.com.

1Password kept suggesting the RedCard login and I didn’t realize there was another option.

Even still, it would be impossible for me to tell which was which from the pop up menu, as they both showed only the top-level domain (target.com) and don’t show how I have them named in the vault.

Improvements
I realize some of these may be a limitation of how iOS handles 3rd party password managers, but in a perfect world:

• Priority should have been given to the match for target.com. The page was login.target.com so the rcam.target.com login shouldn’t have been prioritized over the target.com one.
  • Show an indication (counter badge?) on the key icon that multiple matches exist. This would have clued me in to try a different one.

• Show the login name as stored in the vault in the list of choices.

• Show the full domain name in the list of choices. This would have allowed me to pick the right one.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @schumatt! Welcome to the forum!

You are right when you say that there are currently some limitations in the iOS autofill extension, which does not allow us to have full control over how information are shown in the extension. Currently the only good way to distinguish between logins is by having a different username for the Logins. If you use the same username though, it's true that it's not immediate to understand which login is which.

Our developers are monitoring the situation however, and if there is a way to improve this, they will certainly use the opportunity to do so. In the meantime, I have passed your feedback to them ;)

ref: dev/apple/issues#2113

This discussion has been closed.