kudos (and suggestion) re numbers colored in generated passwords

Steve_Joyner
Steve_Joyner
1Password Alumni
I didn't see this in beta release notes, but I did discover it through use.

Coloring numbers of the generated passcode is brilliant. Real innovation!

coloredPassword.png

Such a simple thing that make a huge difference. I can't tell you how often I, or friends/colleagues, are forced to retype the whole password again because they entered a 1 instead of an l.

Indeed, I believe this simple change/improvement has saved a typical user at least 1 hour of lost productivity per year. Actually, 1 hour may be woefully low an estimate -- but even that is big. I don't know how many users 1PW has, but I reckon we're talking mucho dollars when all is tolled.

Here's an example of how a password is shown in the latest version ([font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4.1b10):[/font]

6R1=Tmg9Wl+wQu!M0F

But why stop there? How about showing colored non-alphanumeric characters. I'll use red:

6R1=Tmg9Wl+wQu!M0F

Similar to passwords with spaces or dashes, colorizing both numbers and non-alphanumeric characters provides the user with a visual indicia that "chunk" the password into easily remembered/typed portions. Such "chunking" is why, for example, veg-myiv-hi-wonn-u or FGTW LWEV XFOB PSNE, is easier to input[font=courier new, courier, monospace].[/font]

Needless to say, this would be an excellent addition to 1PW4 for Mac.

Comments

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    I agree with the request for an optional display mode for passwords that chunks the data. In fact I would like to see it go further as we discussed in this thread to make it easy to identify characters at specified positions in the sequence.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    Can we also get the colors in logins for example, especially useful when you need to manually enter an item when it want work with copy and or the in house browser.

I have not experienced any yet, I am just thinking out loud. It would make my life easier etc. ?????

OOOPs NVM

I had stumbled back into my stable version by mistake. ;)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    I hate to bury this in another topic but this is a prime example of my point.

Can we get a hidden option inside the BETA's much like the translation button that will disappear in the stable. That will show a background of say the caution tape etc much like the beta icon shows.

Keep me from going doh ! again and I suspect others as well.
This discussion has been closed.