1Password Not Accepting Password

Options
sailingbikeruk
sailingbikeruk
Community Member

This has happened before and I had to uninstall the apps and re-install them, it has happened again today and I'd like to get to the bottom of it as is makes 1Password an extremely pointless system when I have to store passwords elsewhere "just in case".

I have been using the Chrome plugin in Brave all morning with no issues

I came to login this afternoon and the apps/plugins will not accept my master password, yes it is correct I have logged into the web portal with the same password and I got the password for this site from the web portal.

Why would the app suddenly refuse to accept a perfectly good password?

1Password Version: V7 (70600005
Extension Version: 4.7.590
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member
    Options

I think it goes without saying that I am extremely concerned about losing access to my passwords CC and other entries (456 in total)

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sailingbikeruk

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble unlocking. I understand your concern and will be happy to help you get to the bottom of this. Typically when there is an issue unlocking the Mac app / extension, but the web app unlocks, the issue is a legacy "Primary" vault lingering. So we can investigate further I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/116673/1password-not-accepting-password#latest
    • Your forum username: sailingbikeruk

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member
    Options

I believe that I have found the cause ... its your horrible and dysfunctional 2FA.

It seems that if I cancel the 2FA the vaults open ( I am told they don't sync), but if I don't answer the 2FA request (because it opens safari behind other windows it locks me out of all vaults connected to the app not just the one with 2FA enabled. If you didn't insist on opening a second browser to do 2FA it may not have opened behind everything else.

I closed safari, cancelling the 2FA request and all is working again. It worked much better when it wasn't safari that was used and i2FA response opened as part of the 1Password app (or gave that appearance anyway).

The 2FA update you pushed out on Mac is so bad I was seriously considering moving away. I never use Safari but your product opens it to do 2FA and then leaves it open consuming memory et al. and now this issue because you are opening another app to complete the login... the UX is awful IMO.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the additional insight here, @sailingbikeruk. Fortunately 2FA should only have to be done once per device. With 1Password accounts, 2FA's purpose is to add some level of protection to the device authorization process. It isn't used beyond that.

Ben

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member
    Options

but my point is that:

1) it doesn't add any security because if I hit cancel, I get to the passwords. It might stop any sync but how long before all 400+ passwords are changed? I still have access to them un til they are changed.
    2) it affects access to all accounts attached to the app regardless of whether they have 2FA enabled or not.

and it opens an app on my system that I don't use for anything else and then leaves it open.

• Ben
    Options

Correct; 2FA does not prevent you from accessing data that is already cached on your device. Its sole purpose is to protect the device authorization process. Once the device is authorized, it adds no security benefit.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.