How to keep a paranoia backup of a vault

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

I have been cleaning up my items in 1Password. I have quite a ways to go, but already have 598 items in Trash. I would like to delete them, but before doing that make a "paranoia" backup, just in case. It used to be that you could backup the vault contents, which was stored in a single zip file. Now it seems the backup function has been integrated into the main functioning of the program and there is no longer a separate, explicit backup. I am looking for a nice way for this paranoia backup.

One could highlight all the items in the trash and export them. However, the resulting file does not seem very user-friendly and could only be used easily to re-import all the trashed items, which would be a huge setback.

Any easy way to accomplish what I want?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9!

One could highlight all the items in the trash and export them.

That would indeed be the best way at the moment. Do make sure you handle this backup securely however, since it won't be encrypted after leaving 1Password.

However, the resulting file does not seem very user-friendly and could only be used easily to re-import all the trashed items, which would be a huge setback.

If you need to reimport only one item from that file in the future, you certainly import only one line from it ;)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Does the import function allow the selection of one or more items? Would be disastrous if it just did them all without asking.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9:

It imports all of them, but nothing stops you from creating a separate import file with just the items you are interested in. You can copy and paste the relevant lines from the CSV file and create a specific CSV file just for import.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Good info! Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @jasimon9! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.