YubiKey with 1Password Desktop App

Magician
Magician
Community Member

Hello everyone, new to this forum but long time user of 1Password ..

I am requested to insert the physical Yubikey when using 1Password via the Web browser, how do I get it to ask me when using the desktop app?

I know this sounds maybe a bit paranoid but I like the idea of having to have a separate physical key that has to be in my laptop to access the password manager that is besides the Master Key.

Thanks
David

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Magician! Welcome to the forum!

Not every 1Password app supports Yubikeys yet, and 1Password for Mac is one of those at the moment I am afraid. This is why you are being prompted for it in the Web client, but not in the Mac client.

Note however, since you mentioned it, that your data is encrypted with your Master Password (and Secret Key if you have a 1Password Membership), not with the Yubikey. Which means that, with or without Yubikey, data on your Mac will still be encrypted, since the Yubikey has nothing to do with the encryption of your data :+1:

• Magician
    Magician
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for your answer that makes sense.

I will experiment more with U2F in the browser too.

Definitely would be good to have more videos on this whole area, it is certainly exciting ..

Thanks
    David

• @Magician

On behalf of Ana, you're welcome. I'll pass your feedback on the videos onto the team. Exciting, most certainly. :)

• marty317
    marty317
    Community Member

I had the same problem with the 1Password Windows app under Win 10 Pro (1Password for Windows 7.6.801). I set up my account that I need to put in my Yubikey if I start a 1Password client on a new device. This worked every time under Android and using the "modern" (not classic) browser plugins under Windows. However, when I set up 1Password for Windows 7.6.801, I was NOT asked for my Yubikey, just for a 6-digit one time password. I am very disappointed - I had expected more security from 1Password. What's the point of a Yubikey if there is such a gaping hole in the 1Password ecosphere?

• Hi @marty317,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! Security keys are not yet supported for the Windows desktop app, so it will require the two-factor authentication code from your authenticator instead.

@ag_ana highlighted the benefits of our two-pronged approach to security - the combination of your Master Password and Secret Key protects your data from local attacks (where an attacker has already gained a copy of your data), and two-factor authentication methods (such as an authenticator app or a security key) protect your data from a remote attack, where a user tries to gain access to a copy of your data from their remote device.

Provided a user does not have access to your sign-in credentials, and is unable to gain access to the device generating your time-based one-timed passwords or your security key, you can rest assured that you data is protected.

This discussion has been closed.