Why doesn’t unlocking 1Password from Share Sheet also unlock the app?

Options
verdi1987
verdi1987
Community Member

Ever since the 1Password integration into the iOS Share Sheet, I have always wondered this: When you unlock 1Password from the Share Sheet, why is the main app not also unlocked (and why doesn’t the unlock persist within the Share Sheet extension)?

Example:
1. Lock 1Password (or wait until it auto-locks).
2. Browse to a website that has 2FA, like Amazon. Clear your login completely so that you have to enter your email address.
3. Mask your face so that Face ID fails.
4. Attempt to login. You are prompted for your master password.
5. Type in your 1Password master password. 1Password unlocks and fills in your email.
6. Attempt to fill your password. You are again prompted for your master password.
7. Now open the main 1Password app with your face still covered.

Result: You are again prompted to enter your master password even if Lock on Exit is disabled and you are within the auto-lock period.

My expected behavior is:
— The unlock initiated via the Share Sheet is carried over to the main app. From the user’s perspective, I have already unlocked 1Password.
— Unlock initiated via the Share Sheet persists through multi-step logins like Amazon so that I do not have to enter my master password right after I just entered it.

As a workaround, I first unlock the main app so that I do not have to deal with repeated prompts in the Share Sheet.

At a time when we are frequently masked, unlocking 1Password with Face ID often fails, and I am forced to enter my master password a lot. It’s doubly frustrating when l have to enter it seconds after having entered it.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @verdi1987

Unlocking the 1Password app will also cause the Share Sheet extension to be unlocked with such a configuration, but not vice versa. As such you may want to consider unlocking via the app, rather than the extension. The difficulty is the Share Sheet extension cannot save the required secret into the iOS keychain. The same is true for the Password AutoFill UI.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused. Hopefully as things continue to evolve this situation can be improved, and in the meantime I hope that tip is helpful.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.