Generated password hidden by defaults

Hi,
I found this closed subject from 2019 https://1password.community/discussion/107674/hidden-password-generation .
The argument against this feature back then was that it was impossible to create a password that fits a particular website perfectly. I’m thinking that the open source project from Apple (that 1Password already uses) resolve this point most of the time already. Plus, in iOS, Apple choose to show the generated password (by keychain) partially unless we voluntarily go to the right place to check it. Maybe this could by a good solution for 1Password too?
Anyway, I would like to put my vote on it.
Regards,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tetardbleu ,
    Thanks for writing about this!

We indeed already utilize Apple's passwords generating project in our apps, which was added very recently.
    However, this is far from being perfect. While it focuses on the most popular websites (which is helpful, no doubt!), there are still billions of other websites out there, and with customers from all around the world we still do encounter users having troubles with suggested strong passwords on a daily basis.

This feature suggestion will indeed be great if it would have been possible to maintain a very high success rate, but for now it is crucial that users will be able to see the passwords they generate and compare it to the website's requirements. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to bring this up!

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Hi,

However, this is far from being perfect. While it focuses on the most popular websites (which is helpful, no doubt!), there are still billions of other websites out there, and with customers from all around the world we still do encounter users having troubles with suggested strong passwords on a daily basis.

I’ll gladly admit being extra optimistic, trying to transmit my enthusiasm! :)

This feature suggestion will indeed be great if it would have been possible to maintain a very high success rate, but for now it is crucial that users will be able to see the passwords they generate and compare it to the website’s requirements. :)

For the record, even if the generated password was hidden, it could be easily seen by clicking on it or on an "edit" button.

I know you are reluctant to add settings to 1Password, and I totally understand why, but have you already considered an "expert" mode of the settings’ window, where you could put (some of) the most wanted advanced settings? Just an idea.

Have a nice day/evening!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tetardbleu:

I know you are reluctant to add settings to 1Password, and I totally understand why, but have you already considered an "expert" mode of the settings’ window, where you could put (some of) the most wanted advanced settings? Just an idea.

We already have an "Advanced" tab in the settings for additional options, although the same idea applied to this area too: we try to be very selective when we add additional settings, even in this section. But it's certainly something that we can think about :)

This discussion has been closed.