Error Message: Another copy of 1Password is using your 1Password data

Options
theengine
theengine
Community Member

Hi,

I've used 1Password successfully for many year. Great App, thanks.

I use the extension in Safari mainly, but sometimes also in Opera. Recently, when updating Opera I had a problem getting the extension to work again. I tried various different things, including downloading the extension recommended from your website, but it did not work. Finally I uninstalled the Opera extension from within Opera.

For a few days 1Password worked ok with the Safari extension and the main app, but then I started regularly getting the above warning and 1PW would not open. At this point there are 2 entries for 1Password in Activities Manager. By closing the second 1PW works OK for awhile, but then the problem returns.

Any idea how to solve the main issue (I'm not too bothered about Opera working with 1PW).

Cheers,

1Password Version: 7.6 1Password Store
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• @tehengine

Do you have 1Password added to your login items? It sounds as if macOS has launched multiple instances of 1Password. Do you have multiple copies of 1Password on your Mac?

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member
    Options

No login items show at all, and I only have one copy of 1Password on my Mac in Applications. After messing about with Opera, as explained above, I did have a 1Password.zip file in in Applications as well as the application itself but I deleted it a few days ago.

• ag_tommy
    edited November 2020
    Options

@theengine

Have you tried restarting the Mac? I am wondering if that might clear up any lingering issues from the removal in Opera? If that doesn't help, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report. The logs should give us a better indication of what's happening.

--

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:

Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. theengine
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/116811/error-message-another-copy-of-1password-is-using-your-1password-data#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

Once we receive the report, we will be in a better position to assist you. You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks ag_tommy.

Mac as been restarted, often, and diagnostic report emailed in.

Cheers

• @theengine

I am reviewing your report now. Let's continue the discussion via email. Please look for a reply soon. :D

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member
    Options

Just to let anyone else know what happened if they look at this thread. The diagnostic report did indeed reveal a second 1PW app buried deep in my Mac. Somehow or other I installed it in error.
    Thanks to ag_tommy for helping.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of ag_tommy, you are welcome @theengine! And thank you for the update :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.