Family member can sign in to 1password.com but not the app on their PC

BillStiles77
BillStiles77
Community Member

Upgraded from single account to a Family Account yesterday (currently in 30-day trial). Thought I followed the instructions (sent invitation, responded, validated user). User (my wife) was able to sign in to 1password.com, created her own master password and emergency kit. Then she downloaded the app but was unable to sign into the app with HER master password. Several other posts in this forum were very similar; solution was "send us a diagnostics report" then the discussion was closed. I guess I need the same thing.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Family member can sign in to 1password.com but not the app on their PC

Comments

• BillStiles77
    BillStiles77
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

SOLVED! One piece of documentation said, "The first login you use on the family member will always be used." Then I eventually found the "Reset everything and start over" button.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BillStiles77!

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that things are working as expected :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• stefanov_1password
    stefanov_1password
    Community Member

I have the same problem. Added my wife to family plan. She can log into 1password.com with her master password and also can log into the chrome plugin. However when she installed the apps on the mac computer and on the iphone she tried to log in in these apps and they both do not accept the password - red shaking dots! What is the problem? We changed her master password (just in case) and logged again successfully into website and plugin, then reinstalled and rebooted everything, installed apps again and tried again - no luck.
    It's ironic because after using 1password for 5+ years and being very happy with it I finally convinced my family how easy it will make the life for them and switched to family plan. Must act swiftly to solve the problem :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stefanov_1password:

We changed her master password (just in case) and logged again successfully into website and plugin, then reinstalled and rebooted everything, installed apps again and tried again - no luck.

If you changed the Master Password for this account, and the new password still worked on the website, but not in the 1Password apps, it means that the 1Password apps are configured with a different Master Password.

The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

From what you are saying, it sounds like your 1Password apps were configured with a Primary vault, which is unlocked with a different Master Password than the one you chose for 1Password.com, perhaps from before you created an account. Is it possible that this is the case?

• stefanov_1password
    stefanov_1password
    Community Member

Thanks. I will try to understand and experiment tomorrow. Briefly: I had a single membership for years. few days ago changed it to Family and added my daughter - everything works. Next day added my wife - there were the problems described above. Btw. my wife's iphone and laptop have some added security on them from her corporate employer but I don't think this is the problem. I will check by using all possible passwords and if not I may have to try some phone help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stefanov_1password:

In case you cannot recover the old password, but you are sure that your new credentials worked, you can then reset the 1Password app on her device:

How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

After resetting, she will be able to add her 1Password Families account to the app using the same credentials that are working to login in the browser.

This discussion has been closed.