Cannot Unlock 1Password in Safari (1Password 7.7)

cva
cva
Community Member

Using the new 1Password 7.7 app and extension, I can't seem to figure out how to unlock from inside Safari. For example, I'll see a UI like this:

but clicking "Unlock 1Password" doesn't do anything. I've tried manually unlocking the vault using the desktop app, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 11.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cva! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? If you now click on the Unlock 1Password button in the inline menu, are you prompted to unlock the app?

• kobi97
    kobi97
    Community Member

I have the same problem

• cva
    cva
    Community Member

Before I had a chance to quit 1password completely, I needed to reboot my mac and now the Unlock 1Password button is working again in Safari. I probably should have tried that before making the post ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kobi97:

Thank you for letting us know. Have you tried my suggestion, or the suggestion from cva?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cva:

I am glad to hear that you managed to sort things out already, and thank you for sharing the update with us :)

• flowerfish
    flowerfish
    Community Member

I run into this issue too from time to time. Basically, just keep quitting and restarting till it works again. It is kind of scary how utterly lost you are without 1password when it doesnt work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@flowerfish:

When this happens to you, have you tried just refreshing the webpage instead of quitting and restarting?

• flowerfish
    flowerfish
    Community Member

Yes, i did try that. Actually, today i noticed the little 1password icon had gone from the safari toolbar. I went into safari prefs, unticked the extension, then reticked it. That brought it back to the toolbar. Then i did a “quit 1password completely” then restarted safari. Then it finally worked again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @flowerfish, that's nice to hear :)

Yes, i did try that.

For confirmation then, was the 1Password inline menu still locked, even after refreshing the browser page?

• flowerfish
    flowerfish
    Community Member

Um, not sure what the inline menu is. But what I was seeing was what the original poster brought up. Id see the the drop down box asking me to Unlock 1Password but hitting that unlock button didnt do anything, hence I was stuck.

• @flowerfish

The inline menu is what you see or saw. It so that you don't have to click the extension button to fill in details. You can do that right from the login fields. Are you still stuck? If so, please try a restart. That has been helping people in the same situation.

• flowerfish
    flowerfish
    Community Member

Thanks. Im not stuck anymore though.

• wallacehm
    wallacehm
    Community Member

Hi! I'm having the same issue. I can't seem to find the things that were suggested in earlier posts.

• @wallacehm

This may help with locating the helper. Let us know of your still encounter issues.

• rhgold53
    rhgold53
    Community Member

I have had this same problem of clicking the "unlock 1 password" button and nothing happening after each update. 1Password needs to improve its update process so that things like this don't happen each time. Clicking on the quit completely menu item does fix it for me, but it shouldn't be necessary whenever the program is updated. Most other software starts ok after updates without this type of rigamarole confusing users.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @rhgold53! I will be happy to pass it to the developers :+1:

• etaim
    etaim
    Community Member

+1 to rhgold53 - same issue after every update to 1password. I almost never had to reboot my mac until I started using 1password... 1password is great, but this is seriously making me consider going back to LastPass :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear this @etaim. Should this happen to you again in a future update, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• antonbe
    antonbe
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Same issue here (current version: 7.8.4). Reboot of Mac or fully closing 1Password & Safari fixes the problem, but it is really annoying. Hopefully will be fixed in a future update.

I have emailed the diagnostics report to support.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@antonbe:

Have you received a ticket number already?

• etaim
    etaim
    Community Member

@ag_ana it's happening again now.
    I sent the diagnostics, here's the ticket number: [#YTT-35743-973]

Thanks,
    Etai

• @etaim

I was able to locate your message. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref:YTT-35743-973

• wmesard
    wmesard
    Community Member

I've been seeing the same thing for months. The problem goes away with:
    1. Quit 1password completely
    2. Quit Safari
    3. Relaunch Safari

When it gets into this mode, clicking (left or right) on the helper icon in the menubar does not bring up 1password. I had to Force Quit it, and relaunch just to get to the Quit Completely option. And, merely Force Quitting (in step 1 above) did not seem to fix the original problem.

macOS Catalina 10.15.7
    1Password 7 Version 7.8.5 (70805000) Mac App Store
    Safari Version 14.1.1 (15611.2.7.1.6, 15611)

• @wmesard

If the helper is not responsive, please use the following steps to quit 1Password.

1. Open or bring 1Password to the front and press the following keys. Command + Option + Control + Q
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock
    4. Open your browser.
  • antonbe
    antonbe
    Community Member

@ag_ana I did not get a ticket number, but got the reply below.

Thanks for reaching out to us! I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you're having with 1Password in Safari. I know how important it is to be able to access your 1Password data when browsing and I'm here to help get you back up and running.

It sounds like we may have to re-establish communication between 1Password and Safari after a recent update. Can you please try the following steps and let me know if this resolves the issue for you?

Quit 1Password completely:
    Open 1Password.
    Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar beside the  logo.
    Quit your browser:
    Open your browser.
    Click the name of your browser in the menu bar and choose Quit.
    Open and unlock 1Password.
    Open your browser and test again to see if the issue is resolved.
    If you're still having troubles, let me know and we can try a different approach.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @antonbe :+1: Did those steps help?

• billhorvath
    billhorvath
    Community Member

FWIW, @ag_tommy's instructions worked for me. It's an annoying workaround, but beats rebooting the whole machine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @billhorvath! :+1:

• AlfonsoFigueroa
    AlfonsoFigueroa
    Community Member

This is happening to me too, frequently. Randomly the 1Password unlock button doesn't work. Nothing short of a Mac restart fixes the issue.

BigSur 11.4
    Latest 1Password Safari extension 7.8.6

This discussion has been closed.