Apple Watch option is not there in my version 7.7 on Big Sur

brianfwalsh
brianfwalsh
Community Member

I am on the latest version of 1Password and on 11.0.1 Big Sur and in Preferences > Security there is no Apple Watch option.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 11.0.1
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:Apple Watch option is not there

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brianfwalsh!

Do your Mac and Apple Watch match the requirements for the feature?

• brianfwalsh
    brianfwalsh
    Community Member

My watch is Apple Watch 5 on the latest software 7.1 my Mac is running Big Sur 11.0.1 it is a late 2015 MacBook Pro

• brianfwalsh
    brianfwalsh
    Community Member

I just saw the requirements - strange though as I can unlock the Mac with the watch and double click instead of putting in the password for many functions

• Unlocking 1Password with an Apple Watch requires Secure Enclave hardware, present in newer Macs. The Secure Enclave offers additional security beyond what the macOS keychain provides. Keep in mind, when you're unlocking 1Password you're not just opening the app, you're also decrypting all your 1Password data. We feel the sensitive nature of storing your passwords and other important information warrants the use of the additional security provided by the Secure Enclave.

Ben

• Tom5555
    Tom5555
    Community Member

I have the same problem. There is no Apple Watch option on security.
    Apple Watch 4 7.1 Imac 2019 Big Sur
    Any Idea?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Tom5555:

The feature requires an iMac 27-inch 2020 or newer. If you are using an iMac 2019, it does not have the Secure Enclave I am afraid.

• Komoroske
    Komoroske
    Community Member

So if you don't have a brand new iMac, this feature that you tout is worthless? You might want to tell your Mac owners straight out when you mention it as a feature that they are very very unlikely to be able to use it without spending several thousand dollars on a new iMac.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Komoroske:

For iMacs, you need the 2020 model, that's correct. For other Macs, older models work too :+1:

• Komoroske
    Komoroske
    Community Member

It doesn't work on my MacBook, which is two or three years old.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020

@Komoroske:

Is your MacBook in your list of supported devices? You need to make sure you have one with a Secure Enclave, which is required for this feature to work.

This discussion has been closed.