Automated testing harness for 1password CLI

zcutlip
zcutlip
Community Member
edited November 2020 in CLI

This is probably a tall ask, but it'd be great if there was some way to do automated testing with the 1password CLI tool that doesn't require a live account & real credentials. I think there are a number of people (myself included) either maintaining API-like frameworks around op or integrating it into automated tooling. It would be super useful to catch any breaking changes to op or (more likely) mistakes on our end in its use.

Potential ideas include:

• A sandbox service that can host ephemeral 1Password "accounts," pre-populated with fake data
  • A fake-op tool that pretends to talk to 1password cloud but instead serves up static test data

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @zcutlip

I am glad to hear that you are able to the use the CLI in such powerful ways. Unfortunately this is not something that is currently on our roadmap. One alternative that we can recommend is creating a vault/vaults that you use purely for test data and then applying a --vault filter to your commands in your automated tests to limit your usage to only the test vaults.

I hope that this helps with what you are trying to do,

Artem

• zcutlip
    zcutlip
    Community Member

No worries, I suspected as much. I think I may have even asked before and forgot!

• @zcutlip: There's one other possibility to consider. If your project is open source then you may be able to get a 1Password Teams account instead. If you think that might be useful, you can find more details and information on how to apply here: https://github.com/1Password/1password-teams-open-source

• zcutlip
    zcutlip
    Community Member

Oh, very cool! I'll see if I can recruit someone to the project.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good :+1:

This discussion has been closed.