Is syncing with the cloud mandatory?

PaulD
PaulD
Community Member

Hi

I received the newsletter today, which mentioned 1Password's Linux Beta version, and it piqued my interest. It's nice to see Linux getting some love, more than 7 years after I requested it. ;) I'm afraid I'm quite out of touch with 1Password products these days, as I haven't looked at them since syncing with the cloud became mandatory and the move to a subscription model. I'd like some pre-sales advice, please.

I need a password manager for use on Linux (Ubuntu), Windows and Android. I currently have licenses for 1Password v4 on Windows and Ubuntu (via Wine), and the Android app, and it all works pretty well. I realise that such an out-of-date product will have vulnerabilities, but this is better than the alternative, of syncing with your servers. I realise that this is controversial, but I'd prefer not to go into the reasons in this post (I'd appreciate it if any answers here stay on topic).

What are my options now? Can I be assured that I can import (and export) my v4 1Password files to the new version, and there's absolutely no risk of them being transferred to 1Password's servers? Can I buy a version outright, or do I need to pay a subscription?

Thanks in advance

1Password Version: 4.6.2
Extension Version: 626
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04, Windows 2016 Server, Windows 10
Sync Type: Absolutely None!

Comments

• Hi @PaulD

1Password for Linux requires a 1Password membership and will only work with membership-based vaults. I understand you have concerns about that, and that you'd rather not discuss them here. If you'd like to discuss them by email, we can be reached at support@1password.com. Thanks!

Ben

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member

That's disappointing. OK, I'll stick with what I've got, and look for a local alternative (non-cloud based) when it becomes necessary.
    Thanks for the response.

• You're welcome. :)

Ben

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member

Hello. I've read the product information since the final Linux version was recently released. I noticed "Open network locations (FTP, SSH, SMB)" is listed as a feature. What is this for?

I just want to check if anything's changed since we last spoke. Do you still force users to upload their vaults to your servers (something that I never want to do)?

Thank in advance

• @PaulD

Our Founder, Dave Teare, posted a really informative outline of the reason for changing our support for standalone licenses here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/601917/#Comment_601917

tl;dr Yes, membership is required.

This discussion has been closed.