Trying to Update and 1P not accepting any of my possible Admin passwords

RTM
RTM
Community Member

I'm trying to Update to 7.7 on my wife's iMac and 1P is not accepting any of my possible Admin passwords. She has her own account but I am Admin for her Mac. I've also tried the Admin PW for her old Mac as well as what I use for my own Mac. I know that all they are all correct but it won't accept any of them. What am I missing here?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina 10.16.7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RTM!

1Password does not unlock with the macOS admin password, it unlocks with the separate Master Password that you chose when you created the 1Password account. Are you sure you are not just entering the macOS password to unlock 1Password?

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

I'm afraid you may have misunderstood me. I do know when to input my 1P password, but at this time I'm trying to update 1P to the new version 7.7 (I'm running Catalina 10.16.7). It definitely says"...requires the password you use to login to your Mac". I did try the login for 1P as you suggested but that doesn't work either?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RTM:

Can you post a screenshot of this message? I have never seen it in 1Password, so I would like to see where exactly it is coming from.

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

I'm afraid you may have misunderstood me. I do know when to input my 1P password, but at this time I'm trying to update 1P to the new version 7.7 (I'm running Catalina 10.16.7). It definitely says"...requires the password you use to login to your Mac". I did try the login for 1P as you suggested but that doesn't work either?

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Attaching a screenshot as requested on your Nov 29 response. Sorry it's taken me so long.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RTM:

Thank you for the screenshot! I have removed it from your post for your privacy since it included your email address. In the screenshot, I see that you were in fact using an email address as a macOS username. Is that correct? If you open macOS System Preferences > Users & Groups, you will see a list of users on your system. Are you using any of those to login?

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

• RTM
    RTM
    Community Member

Thanks, ag_ana. When I checked Users & groups it was my name, Bob Morse. I've always used my gmail address for my admin--on all my devices--and it's worked for a number of years, until just the past couple of weeks or so. Yet when I changed from my email address to my name for my admin, it all worked. Whoda thunk? Since I first contacted you I had the same issue in another app, and when I tried that again today with my name instead of email it worked too. Thanks much for setting me straight! And, I should add, 1Password is working just great for me, much better thanLastPass!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @RTM! I am glad I could help :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.