1password reaaally slow after 7.7 update

KrLx_roller
KrLx_roller
Community Member
edited November 2020 in Mac

Hi everyone,

Since 1password got updated to 7.7, every single time I perform an action (create a new item, edit an item, switch vaults etc...) the UI completely freezes showing the mouse loading spinner. This makes editing a big batch of items an exhausting task. After a few seconds (up to 20) the UI becomes responsive again and I can continue my work.

Is anybody else having this issue?

1Password Version: Version 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina 10.15.7 (19H15)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @KrLx_roller! Welcome to the forum!

Is this also happening after a complete quit of 1Password? Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password?

• KrLx_roller
    KrLx_roller
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana!

I can't believe I didn't think of trying this before opening a post here... :sweat: That solved the issue!

Thank you very much for your help and your quick reply!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @KrLx_roller! I am glad to hear that everything is working fine again :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• caleb_land
    caleb_land
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

I have also been experiencing this on both of my Macs. I recently started a cleanup of my 1Password vaults for the first time in over 10 years and it seems to work well at first, but over time it slows down to a crawl.

Restarting completely does help. I didn't know about that feature, I just use CMD+Q on the main application and that didn't seem to help.

Just wanted to say that I also experienced this issue. I'm on a 2019 Mac Pro and a 2018 MBP with Big Sur

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@caleb_land:

Thank you for letting us know. Quitting 1Password completely indeed helps, but I should also say that our developers are looking at this to see if they can catch the reason why this happens in the first place. Hopefully we will have an update soon :)

• ehahn9
    ehahn9
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

I'm a new 1Password user (coming from Dashlane) and I'm immediately hitting this problem with 7.7 as well. The app is almost unusable :-( I have > 500 entries (imported) which might be part of the problem?

1Password is initially fine (BTW, I love the UI!), but after a little bit of housekeeping (editing items, moving between my 3 vaults, etc.), I start seeing the color spinner and the app becomes GLACIAL (like > 30 seconds to open preferences, etc.).

Quitting and restarting "fixes" the problem but it returns after more edits during the new session. But sometimes, I can't wait for for the 1Password "quit" menu and I am now having to force quit 1Password often.

Really a showstopper IMHO - kind of serious bug which I think has to be fixed for this to be a viable product for me. Any suggestions/updates appreciated!

• ehahn9
    ehahn9
    Community Member

1Password completely hung, here's a diagnostic/stack trace... (the community site doesn't allow attaching .txt. files so here's a gist):

https://gist.github.com/ehahn9/ea6e77978263b9143777b169399cb75d

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

I'm having this issue as well since updating to 1Password 7.7 on macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

Lots of interactions are extremely slow: unlocking, saving changes to items, switching vaults, waking up 1Password mini, etc.

These actions all cause 1Password to become unresponsive and/or beachball for 5-10 seconds before you can do anything, which is frustrating.

When I "Quit 1Password Completely" the problem goes away for a while - but then it comes back.

@ehahn9 - I have more than 600 items, and I never experienced performance issues in 1Password 7.6 and earlier. This problem is a new in 7.7.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you all for the additional information! Our developers have been alerted on this, hopefully we will have an update soon :+1:

• RDye
    RDye
    Community Member

Version 7.7 is unusable given that it takes forever to open and, even worse, that every new entry or change is met by a spinning beach ball. I recommend reverting to Version 7.6 (70600005) which works perfectly for me under macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur 11.0.1. I also recommend that 1Password pull Version 7.7 until these performance issues are corrected and fully tested. The new features in Version 7.7 are certainly not worth the horrible performance hit.

• c1223
    c1223
    Community Member

I too get a progressively slower 1Password after each edit, culminating in a spinning beach ball of death after 20 or so edits.

1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700016)
    macOS 11.1

• Our betas are the best place to try any future updates if anyone is interested in giving them a try. From other reports here in the forum/community, it has helped. We understand that not everyone wants to try or use a beta. Hopefully, we can get the improvements into your hands quickly.

Enable the betas.

• thechrisroberts
    thechrisroberts
    Community Member

One more here. Performance issues for a couple months now when unlocking 1Password in the browser. On my end: MacOS 10.15.7 (I also experienced it on 11.0); Chrome 87; 1Password 7.7; 1 Password Extension (not 1Password X - I tried that out for a little while but missed being able to unlock with fingerprint). It doesn't matter if I unlock with Apple Watch, fingerprint, or password; if 1Password is locked, even just opening the unlock screen is usually quite sluggish. But once I unlock it, 1Password seems to work fine for me, no noticeable delay opening/closing/interacting with the unlocked browser extension. The 1Password app itself does not seem to have a similar delay, and if I first unlock via the app then go to the browser, the browser extension works fine. I don't use Safari much, but fiddling with it just now, it seems to be the same - sluggish on initial unlock, but responsive enough once unlocked or if first unlocked directly via the app. I have my Mac set to lock when the screen saver comes on, and 1Password is also set to lock on the screen saver - this is how 1Password usually gets locked. I get up, hit my screen saver to lock it, come back, eventually open 1Password for something or other, then wait until it pops up.

A bit hesitant to switch to a beta for something I use frequently throughout the day unless there's a little more clarity around whether or not the issue is fixed. Happy to provide logs and such if something could be helpful.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@thechrisroberts

Understood! Betas are not for everyone. I use the beta every day for my personal/work data. I have done so for well over a decade now. Yes, that one heck of a lot of betas. We hope to have the beta released to the stable channel as soon as possible. Hopefully, it will not be much longer.

This discussion has been closed.