Suggestions For Use of 1Password with Big Sur

Options
glindsey
glindsey
Community Member

Yikes! I just installed Big Sure on my Mac and ran into several problems, all of which could have been avoided if 1 Password 7.7 had just provided me with more documentation:
1. The Safari Extension - The extension for Safari installed as part of the installation of 1Password. But nowhere was there any documentation provided that said that you had to turn it on in the Privacy Preference settings in order for it to work! And even after I figured out, by hook or crook, that it needed to be turned on, no one bothered to tell me how to turn it on! I mean, it is easy enough to do, but one has to first find this little, tiny checkbox beside the application from within the Privacy settings and put a check within the checkbox and then close the Privacy Preferences and restart 1Password. Some instructions here would have been really handy!
2. The Chrome and Firefox Extensions - Years ago, when I first started using 1Password, when one installed 1Password, one was given the option of installing extensions for Safari,Chrome and Firefox. But now, I was left pretty much on my own to find these additional extensions. I had to pour over the discussions here in this forum to find out where and how to download these extensions, and I still can not recall how I finally figured it out. So, if I had to do it again, I would have to start from scratch!
3. Touch ID - Touch ID still does not work properly on my MacBook Pro! When I first turn on my Mac, and open 1Password, I am greeted with a notification that 1Password is trying to unlock and I am given the option of typing in a password or using Touch ID. I click on Touch ID and nothing happens and then I am asked again to click on Touch ID. I do that and the application still does not unlock. I wait a bit and then type in my password which works.
4. Automatic switching between Touch ID and Password - When I have my MacBook Pro closed and hooked into my big monitor, the application should, by default, sense that the MacBook is closed and just ask for a password. At least, this is how 1Password operated in previous versions. I will try to provide more details, but I don't believe this function is working quite so well as it could.

Aside from these minor albeit annoying glitches and the paucity of appropriate documentation, I must say I love this app! I recommend it to everyone I know who has a Mac or an iPhone as it is a "must have" app IMHO.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 11.01
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glindsey!

The Safari Extension - The extension for Safari installed as part of the installation of 1Password. But nowhere was there any documentation provided that said that you had to turn it on in the Privacy Preference settings in order for it to work!

Which Privacy Preference settings are you referring to? Can you please post a screenshot? When I upgraded to Big Sur, I did not have to enable any setting, the Safari extension was activated and ready to go for me.

The Chrome and Firefox Extensions - Years ago, when I first started using 1Password, when one installed 1Password, one was given the option of installing extensions for Safari,Chrome and Firefox. But now, I was left pretty much on my own to find these additional extensions.

The menu to install the browser extensions directly from the 1Password app is still there, I believe it was not moved:

I click on Touch ID and nothing happens and then I am asked again to click on Touch ID. I do that and the application still does not unlock

When this happens, does the Touch ID popup have focus?

Automatic switching between Touch ID and Password - When I have my MacBook Pro closed and hooked into my big monitor, the application should, by default, sense that the MacBook is closed and just ask for a password.

Indeed, this is what I see here. I am not prompted for Touch ID when the lid is closed. If you manage to find more information about this behavior, please let us know and we will be happy to test this :+1:

Aside from these minor albeit annoying glitches and the paucity of appropriate documentation, I must say I love this app! I recommend it to everyone I know who has a Mac or an iPhone as it is a "must have" app IMHO.

Thank you for the kind words! :)

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there!

With regards to the Safari extension, I made an error. It was within the Safari preferences, and not the privacy preference settings, that the 1Password extension has to be activated. When the Safari extension was installed, it seems that by default it should have been turned on, but in order for it to function properly, one has to put a checkmark beside it within the Safari preferences. Please see the screenshot, below:

Thank you for clarifying the location of the menu from which to download the Chrome and Firefox extensions! I thought that I had looked everywhere for that , but obviously "everywhere" did not include the correct location!

Touch ID still remains a bit "touchy" when used with 1Password. The trick seems to be to close 1Password completely via right clicking the !Password helper and then to start over when it is acting up. There is also, as others have noted, a noticeable delay between the time you select Touch ID and 1Password opens.

The automatic switching from Tough ID to entering a password when the MacBook Pro is closed and connected to an external monitor seems to be working just fine now.

Thank you for your assistance!

This discussion has been closed.