Too many suggestions in Safari

Options
jramskov
jramskov
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password 7.7 extension in Safari on Big Sur, but it's been this way for quite some time.

I have made vault called "Seconday" that I've excluded from "All vaults". I did this because I have a site where I have several different username/passwords, but primarily use one. I have the primary account in my personal vault and all the other in the secondary vault.

When I load the site, I still get all the suggestions from the secondary vault even though I've configured it to not show up in "All vaults".

What am I missing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jramskov!

To make sure we are on the same page: you posted in the 1Password X extension category, but you also said that you are using Safari. 1Password X is not available in Safari yet, so can you please confirm what is the version of the browser extension that you are using?

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh, sorry. Yes, I’m using Safari and the safari extension.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the clarification, @jramskov. One more question – are you referring to the suggestions when you click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, or are you referring to the suggestions that appear in the inline menu directly on the page?

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

Inline menu, directly on page in the form where I need to enter the username and password.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jramskov – I appreciate you getting back to me! I've tried to attempt to reproduce the issue on my end, but I haven't had any luck. For example, I have an "Old Items" vault where I keep Logins that are outdated but I don't necessarily want to delete. Those items aren't appearing in the inline menu. Is there a specific website URL where you're noticing this? Perhaps I can test it out on that site and see if I can reproduce it then.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for not replying before now, forgot one day and was busy the next day.
    The site I notice it on is a private site (my NAS storage unit), so sadly not something I can provide a link to. I can say though that when I try it in Chrome, the same thing happens. I gives me several suggestions I wouldn't expect it to provide me.
    Example: Let's say the site is named a.foo.org - it suggests logins for b.foo.org and c.foo.org among and it shows logins from other vaults even though I have chosen to view my personal vault only. If I search in the desktop app, I get the correct result - the only login that exists there for site a.foo.org.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jramskov ,

I think the main issue here is that your local NAS has a local URL (e.g. an IP address), which 1Password cannot translate to a proper domain name and therefor does not treat it as a proper domain - hence showing all matching items.

Can you test this on a proper website (e.g. gmail)? You can create some fake login items if needed and see if you can reproduce this on a proper URL.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

It does have a public dns name and IP-address. I just tried with gmail and I guess I'm confused how "Suggestions" work? Does it always take suggestions from "All vaults"? If it's set to my personal vault, I'd expect it to only provide suggestions from that vault.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think we might be confusing some things here @jramskov .
    If you're using Safari with 1Password 7.7, when you click on a username/password field, 1Password should show up inside that field with suggestions. It's called the inline menu.

The inline menu respects vaults that are excluded from "All Vaults", meaning it will not show logins that reside in vaults that are excluded.
    However, if you open 1Password mini (from the icon in Safari's toolbar or from your Mac's menu bar), it will show results from excluded vaults as well.

In case you want specific logins to not show up in 1Password mini, you'll need to select each login in 1Passsword 7, click on the "Edit" button to enter edit mode, then change the "Display" option to "Never suggest in browser".

Let me know if that clarifies the situation.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

I'll check again, but I'm 99% certain I'm seeing suggestions in the inline menu in Safari on my Macbook.

As I wrote, even though it is a personal site, it does have a public DNS and I can reach it on the internet. I have just tested it on a Windows 10 machine with latest Edge browser and 1Password X version 1.22.3 and 1Password for Windows version 7.6.785.
    I have the same issue here. I have just configured both 1Password X and 1Password for Windows to look in my personal vault.
    When I search for domain "a.b.org" in 1Password for windows, I get two items, one login and one password (item with no username).
    When I load site "a.b.org" in Edge and click in the username field, I get more suggestions, including suggestions for "c.b.org", "d.b.org", all suggestions from other vaults.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hey @jramskov ,

I think you're not excluding vaults in 1Password, you're just selecting to view a specific vault. These are two very different actions.
    When you select to view a specific vault, then you'll see results from it when you browse 1Password mini, but when you try to autofill 1Password will still show you all results from all vaults without exclusions.

When you exclude a vault from the "All vaults" view, you actually go to 1Password's preferences and select to exclude a specific vault from your 1Password. In 1Password X, you can do that by right clicking the extension's icon on the top right corner of your browser, select "Settings", scroll down to the bottom and remove the check mark from every vault you don't want to show up in suggestions.

In 1Password for Windows/Mac, you'll have to go into the app's preferences/settings -> Vaults -> remove the check mark from every vault you don't want to show up.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

That cleared up some of the entries :chuffed:

It doesn't explain why it shows suggestions for "c.site.org", "d.site.org" when the site is "a.site.org"?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jramskov ,

1Password will suggest all logins that contain the same base domain. For example, if you have an Apple ID, it will be valid in:

• apple.com
    • support.apple.com
    • appleid.apple.com
    • developer.apple.com
    • etc...

This is crucial behavior, as users can't (and shouldn't) have a different login item with the exact same credentials for each one of these URLs - they are the same website. This applies to a lot of other websites and that is why 1Password will suggest logins if the base domain is identical. However, 1Password should organize the suggestions in a logical manner. It will show exact matches of the base domain + sub domain first, then it will show logins that only match with the base domain (but the sub domain might be different).

I hope that clarifies it :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad I could help :+1:

This discussion has been closed.