Restore backup 1Password for families

Options
MrBurbles
MrBurbles
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for several years, but a couple of years ago switched to a Families account through a subscription with Eero. I believe this would be considered a "1Password Membership." In the past, I confirmed my data is being backed up, but am now realizing I was making an assumption it was being backed up after switching to a membership, because I cannot determine where those backups live and how to restore from them if they exist now that I could really use one.

A few days ago, I had added an item on my iPad, which showed up immediately on my iPhone, but wouldn't sync to my Mac. I couldn't determine a means to trigger a refresh and troubleshot for quite awhile until the item finally showed up, maybe 30+ minutes later. I haven't tested since, but everything seems fine and I just saw an item I added on the Mac synced to one of my iOS devices, so it seems fine now.

As part of the troubleshooting and general looking around trying to figure this out, I decided to delete hundreds of items in the trash from 2019 or earlier.

Today, I realized it looks like I didn't delete those items, but instead restored them, as my Personal vault now contains multiple duplicates and old logins and info.

Rather than try to clean up the database manually, I though I could just restore my vault from a backup from before I went trashcan cleaning. I cannot find the backup or restore function however, despite some effort searching the knowledgebase and existing Support Community threads. This doesn't seem to apply to my account type, trying to understand how this is all set up. The backup option is not present in the macOS preferences of the version of 1Password I'm running, and connecting my iPhone and pulling it up in Finder doesn't show anything under the 1Password icon in the Files area. I am not seeing a way to restore vaults in the web app, just individual item history, which doesn't help in this situation.

Is/was my data being backed up, and if so, where do I find the information on how to restore it please? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7 (Safari), 4.7.5.90 (Chrome)
OS Version: macOS 11.0.1, iOS 14.2.1, iPadOS 14.2
Sync Type: 1Password?

Comments

• MrBurbles
    MrBurbles
    Community Member
    Options

The culprit was indeed misreading "Restore" for "Remove" from trash in the context menu when clicking on a group of items in the trash. I'm blaming tired, 41 year old eyes and Big Sur's recent changes to font, kerning, and (lack of) antialiasing. It turns out there is not a means to delete individual items, just to empty the entire trash. I've requested 1Password to add the ability, or an auto-delete after 30 days, something like that. There is not a whole-database restore option for 1Password membership accounts, just per-item and a tool to find duplicates, neither of which helped. In my case, with a few hundred log ins, it took 1-2 hours to clean everything up manually (+several days seeing if anyone would respond here and over a support ticket with 1P). ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the updates @MrBurbles! And thank you for your patience, these last few days have been busy with the new release of 1Password 7.7 for Mac, so we are catching up with all the emails and forum posts :)

This discussion has been closed.