Conflict between MacOS and 1Password auto-suggest "use touch-id to allow password use" behavior

Options

As of the most recent 1Password update, Version 7.7 (70700015), I'm seeing this very annoying new behavior in Safari on my MacBook Pro, not sure how to disable this - it is VERY annoying and unwanted new behavior.

Prior to the new update, on a login form which requested a username and password, I would get a suggestion from Safari to unlock the username/password via my Touch ID bar, which worked just fine. I normally store passwords in both Safari and 1Password, but if I only have the password in 1Password, I can just click in the field, then open the 1Password browser client, select the login and autofill.

With the new update, I am getting BOTH a new 1Password autofill prompt (underneath) and the Safari autofill use Touch ID to unlock (overlay) prompts on the same field, often multiple fields. It looks VERY broken, and it is horrible UI. I can't believe you guys did not test this to discover this behavior before releasing this update!

I need some way to disable this new 1Password behavior on my MacBook Pro, so I can return to the prior behavior, which worked just fine for me. But, I probably only want to disable this on my MacBook Pro with the Touch ID button. I have other older Macs, an iPhone and iPad where I may want to use this, but would want an ability to disable on a per-device basis.

I really think you need to work up a better UI approach to how users can handle situations on a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, where both Safari and 1Password may have the same login saved, and both may want to use Touch ID to unlock access to that credential. Having both dialogs popup, one of the other, where both can't be viewed, and it's unclear how you prioritize one over the other, is about the worst possible solution I can think of. Until Apple allows a single popup, and within it a choice as to which password manager can be chosen (i.e. like on IOS), I need to be able to disable your underlay popup, as I can always get to you via the browser client when I want to use 1Password to autofill.

1Password Version: Version 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:aws IAM user

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @mjcsb! 👋

Thanks for sharing your feedback with me. While we wouldn't recommend using multiple password managers, I can see how this would get frustrating quite quickly. The good news is that the 1Password inline menu can absolutely be disabled. Here are the steps to disable the inline menu in Safari:

1. Open 1Password's Preferences (⌘-, is the keyboard shortcut).
    2. Click the Browsers tab.
    3. Uncheck "Show inline menu in Safari."

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• rafaelvdl
    rafaelvdl
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this. I work the exact same way. The combination of the two just works for me as well. I turned off the inline menu and it's fixed!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rafaelvdl – I'm glad to hear that disabling the inline menu did the trick! I'll pass both of your feedback along to the rest of my team. I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us. :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#428

• mjcsb
    mjcsb
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Yeah, I figured out this solution on my own, but it was just a guess. Unchecking the checkbox fixes the problem.

I don't really care what you recommend - I wouldn't be using both password managers unless I got some benefit out of it, and I don't think my use-case is the exception, but more likely the rule, so you should handle this in a more elegant manner. What was there before the update worked perfectly fine - there was no need (IMHO) to mess with it.

There's still enough situations where using Safari's password-fill mechanism works better and/or faster on my MacBook, iMac or iPhone. But, I want a backup on another system, and I occasionally switch to Chrome, or use Windows with Chrome, where 1Password's sharing across devices is better. I also like that I can store additional fields, such as the password recovery questions.

It's just that Safari's save password prompt is ubiquitous, and it's harder to opt out than just save in both. So, I think more people than not are just going to go the easy route and save in both, meaning, you should always test this use-case.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again for the feedback, @mjcsb! I've shared your thoughts with my team.

• StevenAlper
    StevenAlper
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I had this issue as well and use 1Password and the Keychain in much the same way @mjcsb describes. The Keychain is just more convenient in Safari on the Mac and iOS, but 1Password is my strongroom for everything valuable and is my go-to with non-Safari browsers.

Some preference panels are a bewildering assortment of indecipherable choices that you can't figure out until you just select something.

• Hey @StevenAlper. I'd love to hear any feedback you have on how you find Keychain more convenient — they both seem a click away to me, so I'd love to hear your thoughts. :smile:

• StevenAlper
    StevenAlper
    Community Member
    Options

Well, for one, the Keychain is a down-arrow away for many entries.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StevenAlper So is 1Password now that it shows up under username/password fields :chuffed:

• oberman
    oberman
    Community Member
    Options

I just created a new thread with the same "issue" but will jump over here. I might use this fix but I'm kind of bummed about it. I would prefer to use just one password manager (and have it be 1password), but I do agree that the built-in behavior for Safari is really convenient and hard to escape using.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oberman:

I have just replied to your other discussion here ;)

This discussion has been closed.