Why does the 1Password not recognize and ignore Time Machine Backups?

Options
xz4gb8
xz4gb8
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Mac

Currently running 1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-2 (70701002)

1. I just checked for updates and can not even see the change notices because the only thing visible is the Extra Copies notification which covers everything except the discussion forum suggestion. So, I have to pass the legislation before I can now what it contains -- oops, I mean that I have to install the update to find out if I want to install the update. Somehow that does not make sense. I really do not want to "Update Anyway" without at least some idea of changes to come.

2. The notice shows that the extra copy found (of 1Password) is contained within a subfolder of the folder named "Backups.backupdb", a 'reserved' and well known name. Further, the notice only shows the extra copy in one of two Time Machine volumes actually mounted, each of which contain essentially identical backups. Extra copies in Time Machine Backup.backupdb folders should either be ignored or all detected.

3. Your recommendation to manually edit Time Machine volume contents is among the worst bits of advice one can give a macOS user.

Is their a possible fix for this?

1Password Version: 7.7.1.BETA-2 (70701002)
Extension Version: default
OS Version: 10.15.7 (19H15)
Sync Type: Agilebits Cloud

Comments

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies for the non-beta stream entry. I was on the beta page (according to the path indicator) when I composed it. I anyone can correct this, I would be delighted.

• @xz4gb8

No worries, this is related to the stable release channel too.

To answer your question, it's not about 1Password looking at those copies. True, we find a copy when we're looking to update the application. But the reasoning is much deeper.

What happens is sometimes macOS will look across partitions and start an incorrect copy of 1Password or its helper. This includes copies found within Time Machine backups if the backup happens to be mounted. The problem lies with the fact that different versions of our helper and the main app can get started. As you can imagine, specific versions of the helper need to work with specific versions of the 1Password.app. If a mismatched version gets started, it's not a great user experience. This can lead to trouble unlocking for one. That, by far, is the most common reason that I see.

I have excluded the 1Password app within Time Machine for a long time now and have been much happier. If the need should arise, you can always download a new copy of the application from us. Your data is backed up outside of the application and lives within your user folder. This would continue to be backed up by adding an exclusion to Time Machine for the application.

Apple has a knowledge base article on how to exclude apps from Time Machine backups located here.

They also have a set of instructions on how to remove older copies of items from your existing backups located here.

I love to keep track of release notes too. You may find our update server helpful. It maintains a copy of all of our release notes and downloadable copies of previous versions of 1Password. https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

Our help topic on the subject may be useful to you. https://support.1password.com/extra-copies-found/

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Looking at the post and your reply, there does seem to be an issue with the instructions given by 1P. That is, 1P suggests trashing the extra copy, which is NOT what should be done if the copy is in a Time Machine backup. Perhaps instead of advising "Move to Trash" you should give a link to a support page saying what to do in the different situations (backup clone, Time Machine, finder copy, etc).

This discussion has been closed.