Shared vault between “children” that cannot be accessed by “parents”

Options
ansch
ansch
Community Member

Is there a way to create a shared vault that only invited people can view? That means without family organizers having access to it.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ansch! Welcome to the forum!

Family Organizers are the administrators of a Families account, so by default they could have access to every vault. However, when you create a vault you can choose which users should have access to it, and adding a Family Organizer is not mandatory :+1:

• MattSpence
    MattSpence
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem. My brother is disabled and forgets things constantly. I want to set him up with a 1Password account that I administer for him, but I don’t want him to have access to my passwords. Is the family account the way to go? How much more does it cost that individual account?

• @MattSpence

A family account would likely be the best option because it also provides for the ability to do account recovery. Our memberships cost ~3$US per month for an individual, ~5$US for a family.

• MattSpence
    MattSpence
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Tommy. How do I convert my individual account to a family account? And, once I have set up the account for my brother, how do I move his logins from my vault to his? Can they be copied and set up so that if he changes a password, it automatically changes in my vault and his?

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@MattSpence

You can change from an individual to a family plan using this set of instructions.

If you are looking to help manage his vault, you might put them in a vault that both of you have access to. Only data you put in this vault will be available to both of you. If you do not place your logins in this vault, he will not have access to them. This would be the best way to keep data so that it's constantly updated between both of you. If you place his logins in a Private vault for him, then you will not have continued access.

• If you subscribed through the app store of similar, you will need to contact us via email using support@1password.com. We will need to make a few changes on our end to allow you to upgrade. We would be happy to help.
  • ansch
    ansch
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Thank you for your fast response. I was only able to test it right now. Unfortunately, this does not work. I created a vault in one of my "child's" account and shared that test vault with another "child". Then I accessed the 1password website from that child's account on which I initially created the test vault and I saw that this test vault was only shared with that other child.
    Then I entered my family organizer account in which I was able to see the newly created test vault.
    At that point everything seemed to work as intended, but with the information of the newly created test vault (I could see it under the menu item "vaults".
    Then, however, by clicking on that vault I could also click on "manage" and therefore was able to change the access rights. I added my own account and indeed I was able to access that test vault from within my 1password app.

Hence, it is not possible to create a shared vault from within one child's account that cannot be accessed by the organizer's account. The only account that the family organizer cannot access from a child is its private vault (which cannot be shared with others).

To put this in context. In my real family, I am one of the children and manage the 1password account for the whole family since I am the "digital" child. I assume that I am not the only child who sets up the family account for the whole family. Besides that the whole family could have some good reasons to not have the organizer being able to access all shared vaults.

It would be great to give children a little bit more privacy.

Kind regards

• Ben
    Options

@ansch

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, as Ana mentioned, Family Organizers can add themselves to any shared vaults they wish to. So there is a level of trust that the other people in the family have to entrust in the Family Organizer(s). One thing we hope to do for the future is make it much more clear who has access to any given vault (e.g. from within the apps). While this would not change the behavior you're describing, it would at least make things more transparent.

Ben

• ansch
    ansch
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Thank you for your fast response.

That sounds good. Will there be the possibility to manage the vaults’ accesses via the app?

Regarding the access restriction of the family organizer:
    Do you consider adding this feature sometime in the future?
    Actually, I cannot think of a reason that the family organizer should have access to all shared vaults. Maybe there is one, then it would be difficult or even impossible to satisfy both sides, but I cannot find one.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Options

@ansch:

Will there be the possibility to manage the vaults’ accesses via the app?

We don't have anything specific to share about this yet, but I know this is something that has been discussed internally.

Regarding the access restriction of the family organizer:
    Do you consider adding this feature sometime in the future?

For now, I have passed your feedback to the developers so they are aware that this is something you would like to see :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#24

This discussion has been closed.