dead iphone - how access 1PW

pva
pva
Community Member
edited December 2020 in iOS

i'm stuck , need help...

my iphone 6 won't charge anymore (sitting for 2 days in socket, still seeing the battery icon with red line on the left).

I have 1password app on that iphone, can't remember how i installed it, think i did that via apple appstore (don't think i had created an account on 1password.com, and don't think i have a secret key, nor had i previously heard of the emergency kit).

I tried logging in to 1password.com, but it keeps saying 'invalid secret key' (as i dont know it, and don't think i have one, i left that field blanc).

Now what to do?
read all the options on the website, but they all seem to point to 'sign in' on website, which i apparently can't...

as the iphone is old, i could opt for:

• get a new battery installed (after which I hope i can restore my icloud backup or pc backup, after which I hope all settings inclyuding touchID access are immediately available, and i can log into 1password --> is that a working option? or will i have to re-instate touchID on restored iphone, and re-instate touchID on 1password app? if so, and it brings me again to having to enter a secret key, im stuck again)

• option2: buy a new iphone12, but this doesn't have touchID anymore, it has faceID (info on site seems to indicate that i then would need to set up faceID, and that seems to involve again having a 1password account, which I don't have.... so... buying an iphone with faceID will end up me not being able to get into 1password app?)

• option3: buy a new ihone with touchID (iphone SE?), : ref all of the above, will that end in me being able to enter the 1password app easily, ie just restroing ihpone backup from pc or icloud

THX for all advice.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pva!

Having the battery replace will probably be the easiest option, but if you had your 1Password data synced somewhere (for example, to iCloud), you can restore your 1Password data on a new iPhone too. All you need is your Master Password to unlock your 1Password app.

I tried logging in to 1password.com, but it keeps saying 'invalid secret key' (as i dont know it, and don't think i have one, i left that field blanc).

You don't have a Secret Key if you don't have a 1Password account, so you also won't be able to login on 1Password.com.

• pva
    pva
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

thanks for the feedback!

so, i think with that info, all of the above 3 options will work? (new battery in old phone, buy new iphone SE, buy new iphone12)

still unsure though about the new iphone12, as that device doesn't have touchID (it doesn't have the entry point which i always tend to use.... touchID, not having to remember the master password). If i would opt to buy new iphone12, i understand i will need to enter the master password to get into 1PW. If I don't remember the master pw correctly, as i have been relying on touchID, will there be a solution to get into 1PW? because at that point, i will have bought the iphone12 already)

another thing: the old iphone6 having battery problems, would i have to worry about the latest icloud backup being complete? (ie what if the battery died amidst the backup process?)
    i do have a pc backup too, but it's from august i believe.
    (if icloud backup might be compromised, how to know? and in that situation, would i be better off with first getting new battery in iphone6, ie circumventing the iphone12 not having touchID, and ensuring a succesfull backup can be put into icloud, before then buying a new iphone as second step? ie to ensure not losing any data ... love technology, but getting too complex)

many thanks for the help. Trying to get this sorted today.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pva:

If I don't remember the master pw correctly, as i have been relying on touchID, will there be a solution to get into 1PW?

The Master Password is required to unlock 1Password. Touch ID helps you unlock the app quicker, but your data is still protected by your Master Password behind the scenes. Because of this, it is fundamental that you know it if you want to add 1Password on a new device. In case you forgot your Master Password, please see this article for some suggestions:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can’t unlock 1Password

another thing: the old iphone6 having battery problems, would i have to worry about the latest icloud backup being complete? (ie what if the battery died amidst the backup process?)

1Password sync is a separate process from your iCloud backups, even if you are also using iCloud as your sync method. For example, 1Password syncs every time you unlock the app, no matter what the status of your iCloud backup is :+1:

• ag_matthew
    ag_matthew
    1Password Alumni

Hello @pva,

It might sound silly, but have you tried a different charger and a different lightning cable? I'd also try to clean any dust from the iPhone's lightning port using a paper-clip, as this can interfere with the lightning connection.

Apple's website has some information for troubleshooting iPhone startup problems.

• pva
    pva
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Thanks for the help all :)
    I did try indeed the above suggestions, multiple chargers/PC usb/battery pack usb/multiple cables/... no use. Also cleaned the port, no use. The iphone6 seems dead. That device looks like I'll have to retire (how to do safely, ie wipe in current condition) is a next hurdle...

Meanwhile bought new iphone se, and ran the restore backup from icloud.
    I managed to remember the 1PW master pw, so that's working.
    Should i now create an account? or DL that emergency kit?

fyi:
    The restore backup wasn't easy... kinda disappointing experience...
    The new iphone startup seemed to go well, followed the steps of logging into home wifi, into icloud, select the preferred backup, and off we go... i thought...
    Until that process started asking to re-enter the icloud PW, complaining it couldn't be verified with the server, over and over and over...
    Finally i skippped that step, process continued, but took ages (over 24 hrs later still no apps working, and didn't seem to be able to reach internet / wifi). So had to call apple support, got friendly help, but it took 30 minutes of 1st level support + 30 minutes of senior level support (after 1st level guy ran out of ideas to solve it).
    The senior support guy, finally listed some last resort options:

• installing IOS14 via pc/itunes, which didn't work as restore was ongoing
    • reset network settings, which didn't work either
    • reset to factory settings, to then install fresh machine with IOS14 (which i was looking at to begin, as final resort), but before doing this I remembered the guys stating they didn't really knew the VPN i have on iphone (norton 360 allows me to protect 10 devices with virus checker + vpn). Therefore I thought to try and delete that VPN, and see what happens... Since then, the restore backup from icloud picked up speed as it then seemed able to connect to wifi.

So far, so good...
    I do have some passwords to re-enter on the new machine, gmail and such, also seemed to need to re-install google authenticator.
    Main issue now seems to be: banking apps do not allow me to start usage, and they ask me to re-login and identify my account through the usual expected identifications, such as two-factor identification sms code sending, or the security app 'Itsme'. Issue: the sms they claim to send me never arrives, and the Itsme process fails before completion...
    So, again, it seems i'll have to call upon apple support, or on your advice.
    All help is welcome.
    I am a technology fan, all in favor of all the gadgets... as long as it works, stays comprehensible/transparent.
    Problem is, it's not so, it's complex...

Thx again all :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pva:

Should i now create an account? or DL that emergency kit?

You only have an Emergency Kit if you are a 1Password subscriber. From what you have been writing so far, it does not look like you have an account yet. We are happy to check your account situation for you if you are not sure though. To avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there?

Main issue now seems to be: banking apps do not allow me to start usage, and they ask me to re-login and identify my account through the usual expected identifications

This is normal: I also am usually asked to login to apps again in certain cases, especially after a reset.

such as two-factor identification sms code sending, or the security app 'Itsme'. Issue: the sms they claim to send me never arrives, and the Itsme process fails before completion...

If the SMS does not arrive, this is probably something you need to check with the websites themselves, since the SMS is coming from them rather than from Apple :+1:

• pva
    pva
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

thx. i'll send the email.

As to the sms issue, murphy's law hit again... took your advice, called the bank, turned out there is an internet provider general issue at this very moment which is preventing that particular bank from sending SMS's to clients whom happen to be in the process of credentials cycle on new phone/app registration... unbelievable ... if i wouldn't be seeing this first hand, I would think it's a joke.
    For sure because i was having similar issue on other app, identification not succeeding, happening at same time. Again, coincidence on top of coincidence: that app + the related credentials app apparently needed to be uninstalled first before it would allow same user/phone-nr activation on new device (would have helped if the account activation steps or the apple suport would mention that somewhere: un- & re- install banking & security apps after a backup restoration).
    As mentioned... nothing seems to be simple anymore...

Thx again. Your tips & advice brought the breakthrough :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @pva :) If you also decide to email us to check your account situation, after you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion :+1:

This discussion has been closed.