No wifi sync with in 1 password 7

Options
JanX1
JanX1
Community Member

Hello forum,
I now sync the safe with icloud, but I want to sync with wifi. I am now using Password 7 on a mackbook pro with Big Sur.
I could sync with WiFi on password 6.
How do I do that in password 7?

Greetz from Holland

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: Mac Os 11.0.1
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JanX1!

Please see this documentation page for the instructions:

How to use the WLAN server

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

Dear ag_ana,
    The link you sent me does not work with password 7, I have a membership. I don't see wifi sync, I saw that in password 6.
    Would like to do it via wifi sync.
    Sincerely,
    JanX

• @JanX1

Memberships do not sync using the WLAN server. All membership vaults sync through your account on 1Password.com.

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

tommy,
    Why not? i would rather sync via wifi. now i do it with icloud.

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

Is my password now also on the server of Password ??

• @JanX1

If you are using a 1Password membership, then you are syncing via 1Password.com. That would entail your data being uploaded to your account. The apps would handle syncing.

The "WLAN server" would not be involved in syncing your data. Your data can still sync over Wi-Fi or Cellular with a membership.

Often there is confusion about having or not having a membership. To prevent revealing any personal details here in the forum, contact us using support@1Password.com , where we can happily discuss your set up. This is done to ensure your privacy and safety.

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

@tommy,

Thank you Tommy for the answer.
    Just to be clear, I am now in the trial period and in about 16 days I will pay per year.
    For this I have created an account and I also received a security key.
    Do I automatically have a membership then?

I can no longer find the sync tab / button in the preferences of the app.
    It was there in versions 6 and 7 without an account, so that is quite confusing.
    I think I synced via icloud when I installed the app because wifi sync was not present.
    I would prefer to keep the data in my own hands.

Sincerely,
    JanX

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JanX1:

For this I have created an account and I also received a security key.
    Do I automatically have a membership then?

Yes, if you created a 1Password account and received your Secret Key, you have a Membership :+1:

I can no longer find the sync tab / button in the preferences of the app.

If you are using 1Password.com as your sync method, sync is automatic and therefore the Sync area is hidden. If you want to use additional sync methods, make sure you enable Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts under 1Password Preferences > Advanced tab.

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Ana,
    Okay, but there is no point in creating a new primary vault on my Mac if the existing vault remains on the password.com server.
    I want my primary vault data to reside on my Mac and not the Password.com server.
    So that I can sync normally via WiFi on my own network.
    Is that still possible?

Sincerely,
    JanX

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Anna,
    Okay, but there is no point in creating a new primary vault on my Mac if the existing vault remains on the password.com server.
    I want my primary vault data to reside on my Mac and not the Password.com server.
    So that I can sync normally via WiFi on my own network.
    Is that still possible?

Sincerely,
    JanX

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Anna,
    Okay, but there is no point in creating a new primary vault on my Mac if the existing vault remains on the password.com server. I want my primary vault data to reside on my Mac and not the Password.com server. So that I can sync normally via WiFi on my own network. Is that still possible? Sincerely, JanX

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Anna,
    Okay, but there is no point in creating a new primary vault on my Mac if the existing vault remains on the password.com server. I want my primary vault data to reside on my Mac and not the Password.com server. So that I can sync normally via WiFi on my own network. Is that still possible? Sincerely, JanX

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Anna,

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Anna,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JanX1:

1Password.com vaults will remain on 1Password.com, but they can be empty if you don't want your items to be stored there. But you cannot sync 1Password.com vaults with sync methods other than 1Password.com itself, so you need to have a standalone vault on your Mac for this.

The Primary vault is not stored on the 1Password.com server. So if you make sure your data is in your Primary vault, and not on your 1Password.com vault, it will be stored on your Mac and not on the server.

• JanX1
    JanX1
    Community Member
    Options

__ I see that I have given the same six responses, I thought that my response was not uploaded, but later I saw that the response must be approved first. I was too impatient, sorry for that.__

I don't understand anything anymore sorry.
    Primary vault is not stored on Password.com server ??
    Primary Vault / Password.com Vault ???
    Make sure your data is in your primary safe ??? How??

Just over wifi and stored locally on my mac, as it was, why is that not possible anymore.
    Isn't there an article explaining all this for dummies?

Sincerely, JanX

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JanX1:

__ I see that I have given the same six responses, I thought that my response was not uploaded, but later I saw that the response must be approved first. I was too impatient, sorry for that.__

No worries at all :)

Primary vault is not stored on Password.com server ??

Correct, the Primary vault is stored on your Mac, and synced with a third-party sync method only (iCloud, Dropbox, or WLAN sync)

Primary Vault / Password.com Vault ???

1Password.com vaults are stored on 1Password.com, not on iCloud or Dropbox.

Make sure your data is in your primary safe ??? How??

If you want to sync your data with the WLAN server, make sure you move the items to your Primary vault:

Move and copy items

Just over wifi and stored locally on my mac, as it was, why is that not possible anymore.

It is still possible: if you followed my instructions to enabled vaults outside of 1Password account, you will have a Primary vault that you can sync via WLAN sync :+1:

This discussion has been closed.