When unlocking 1Password X (with Keycombo or Clicking) with my Firefox, the whole Firefox crashes

vidarwindir
vidarwindir
Community Member
edited December 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

This issue is already happening since a while back with older versions of Firefox and 1Password X.
The issue isn't happening while Firefox is still starting up but as soon as Firefox is longer running pressing the unlock key combo or unlocking it from the menu will crash Firefox as soon as I entered my password and pressed the button to unlock 1Password X. Normal 1Password integration works without any problem.
When reinstalling 1Password X it's working for some time but then gets back to crashing (except when unlocked while Firefox is still starting up).

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: Windows 10 20H2 (Build 19042.662)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:firefox crashing when unlocking 1password x

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vidarwindir!

Is this happening only with Firefox, or with other browsers as well? Also, do you by chance have other extensions installed in Firefox alongside 1Password X?

• vidarwindir
    vidarwindir
    Community Member

Hello @ag_ana
    thanks for your reply.
    It's only happening with Firefox.
    Here's my currently installed extensions, are there any known incompatibilities?

• 1 Password
    • 1 Password X
    • Augmented Steam
    • Ban Checker for Steam
    • Context Duckduckgo
    • Cookie AutoDelete
    • Dark Reader
    • Decentraleyes
    • Enhancer for YouTube
    • Facebook Container
    • Feedly Notifier
    • Firefox Relay
    • Follow in Feedly
    • Restore Closed Tabs
    • LanguageTool
    • Sponsorblock for YouTube
    • Steam Database
    • Tab Counter
    • uBlock Origin
  • ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020

Hey @vidarwindir ,
    It sounds like you might be encountering the same issue as described in this discussion, in which case updating your Firefox to its latest beta version should resolve this (or you can wait until the next stable update that contains the fix).

• vidarwindir
    vidarwindir
    Community Member

Hello @ag_yaron
    i tried the beta together with all my current installed addons and it's still crashing :(

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

In that case, you might want to try a new user profile in Firefox @vidarwindir .
    A new user profile is like a completely new Firefox environment, with no cache, no extensions, no history etc. Install only 1Password X on it and see if things work correctly.

If it does work well, go back to your main profile and disable all other extensions, relaunch Firefox and test. In case it doesn't crash and works well, start turning on your extensions one by one and relaunch Firefox after each one to see if it causes a crash.

I hope that will point you in the right direction :)

• vidarwindir
    vidarwindir
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Hello @ag_yaron
    thanks for the suggestion, I'm currently going through. My Firefox is actually pretty old (maybe used since v 1.5 or so).
    Is there a way to make sure to completely remove just the data stored by 1passwordx from Firefox's preferences?
    I don't want to lose my other extension settings but the stored setting might cause the crash (is just a guess, still trying to figure it out).
    When removing and reinstalling it, there always seems to be some type of data is restored.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @vidarwindir ,

First, using an outdated browser might be a part of the issue, so if you can, I recommend updating it :)
    Secondly, if you remove the 1Password X extension and clear Firefox's cache, that should get rid of all its data, if that helps.

• vidarwindir
    vidarwindir
    Community Member

@ag_yaron sorry I meant my Firefox profile not Firefox itself.
    I'm currently using the newest Firefox version (plus tried the beta as suggested here).
    My profile is in existence since Firefox 1.5 and never crashed or got corrupted since maybe 15 years or so (thanks to regular full profile backups that allowed me to save it from getting destroyed).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

In that case, you can test on a new profile while keeping your main original profile intact. Switching between profiles is quite easy and really helps separating Firefox environments for different users. Give it a try in a new profile and see how it goes. If it works well, then the issue is definitely in your main profile :)

• vidarwindir
    vidarwindir
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Hello @ag_yaron,
    first happy new year to you.
    A new profile fixed the problem temporarily but now 1passwordx is also crashing on that new profile.
    What I noticed that the crash happened after a ram related BSOD (I'm rarely shutting my computer down or close Firefox but instead use sleep mode).
    Now even removing / reinstalling 1passwordx won't fix the Firefox crash (same behavior as before). Seems like there's sort of profile corruption in Firefox that strangely only affects the 1password x extension.

I'm now creating a new profile, fill it with my extensions etc. and copy it to another machine where I'm trying to create unstable ram by overclocking it. Maybe I'm able to reproduce this Problem on another machine.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @vidarwindir ,
    Happy new year to you as well :)

That's rather strange. I'd advise against overclocking the RAM to trigger issues.
    Are you currently using the latest Firefox beta? or are you on the stable version? Have you also tried disabling some of the apps that are running on your computer that might affect Firefox such as anti-virus/firewall/vpn apps?

This discussion has been closed.