Stuck on trying to convert keychain passwords to 1Password [Solved]

Options
MRPH
MRPH
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Mac

Hi,

I'm converting my passwords from Keychain. I have Safari 14.0.1 and am struggling through the process, but can proudly say I have been able to complete the first step of preparing my data.

I'm now stuck on part 2 (converting the data). I click on the macOSConvertHelper app but can't open it. I've tried changing permissions but am told to contact the administrator. When I try manually entering the command line in Terminal, I don't know what I'm doing and seem to get it wrong.

Can you help, please?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Big Sur 11.0.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@MRPH

I'm not sure what type of macOS account you have (admin vs. normal user), so let's just ignore the macOSConvertHelper for now, and use the Terminal.

Did you export your local or iCloud Keychain data yet (sounds like you did)? If so, which one, and how did you do it?

• MRPH
    MRPH
    Community Member
    Options

I followed the instructions for Keychain convertor and used Get_Safari12_Passwords.

• MRPH
    MRPH
    Community Member
    Options

...and got the message:

All done!

There is now a file on your Desktop named:

pm_export.csv

You may now convert it to a 1PIF for import into 1Password using the csv converter in the converter suite.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@MRPH

I assume you have your mrc-converter-suite folder on your Desktop. If not, place it there, and keep that name..

1 .Open Terminal
    2. Issue the command cd ~/Desktop/mrc-converter-suite and hit Return.
    3. Issue the command perl convert.pl csv -v ../pm_export.csv and hit Return.

You should now have a file on your Desktop named 1P_import.1pif, which can be imported into 1Password.

• MRPH
    MRPH
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information and all your hard work.

I now have 479 of the 899 passwords I had in Keychain. I can't understand the section about 'clean up' but will test it in the coming days and see if it works fine.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@MRPH

Excellent, and you're welcome.

The various password managers may have features or techniques that don't translate well into 1Password, or lack things that 1Password requires (e.g. valid dates in any date field). The Clean Up section of the README is about running through your records and getting an idea of how your records and their fields translated into 1Password entries. It helps you to focus on the areas where these issues may occur.

You'll manually fix the minor issues within 1Password. But if you notice a certain issue across, say, some particular record category or certain field, the converter might be adjusted to handle the translation better for your needs so that adjusting it saves you from having to adjust perhaps tens or hundreds of records.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any issues or questions. Otherwise, Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.